Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

2001 ford expedition: fuel pressure regulator..My fuel..injector rail

Customer Question

where is the fuel pressure regulator located on my 2001 ford expedition. My fuel pressure on the injector rail is 44 pounds. Chilton says it should be 55 pounds. The vehicle may or may not start. Is this my problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 5 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your vehicle trouble.

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

Ok thanks.

Pavlin Koev :

your fuel pressure is fine, but if you want to know where is fuel pressure regulator no problem-it is is on fuel rail at the end of it, there is vacuul line connected to it.

Pavlin Koev :

normal fuel pressure for your engine is 30-45 PSI

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

ok, it looks like it is build into the injestor rail. do you hve to change the whole rail if it ever needed changed. I'v looked at two different parts stores for it, cause i figured it to be bad, but the picture they show me looks nothing like mine.

Pavlin Koev :

you can remove it as it is stated on the picture I have sent.

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

well the picture is not reall clear. but from what I can see mine looks different. Is it lay horizontal.

Pavlin Koev :

it is horisontal, but I do not think that this is your problem, you have perfect fuel pressure.

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

what would you suggest is the problem. It cranks fine. If it starts it runs great. But you might only get it to start once every couple or week. It mights start with carb cleaner and it might not.

Pavlin Koev :

How is your ignition system, how old are spark plugs.

Pavlin Koev :

air filter

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

about three years old. I change plugs and the 4 in. boots

Pavlin Koev :

I would remove and inspect plugs first, also check MAF sensor if no foreign materials on the screen,

Pavlin Koev :

Have you noticed if theft light is blinking when no start.

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

yeah it usually blinks when it is shut off. But I've never activated anything for theft. I bought it used in 2003 and its blinked every since

Pavlin Koev :

Sorry, I mean have you notised blinking when key in the ignition and in on position., if key is off it is ok.

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

no

Pavlin Koev :

I would like you to check plugs and air filter first and to scan the engiene for codes, crank or cam sensor may be at fault, but computer will have stored codes, is check engine light on, or has it been On?

JACUSTOMER-ek0cz5gq- :

yeah once for a power pack. but not now. I'll check those things. I appreciate it.

Pavlin Koev :

please get back to me on that, if you can get to scan tool, I want you to look at live data, and note if you have crank signal at crank time.

Pavlin Koev :

it will read and shoe engine RPM.

Pavlin Koev :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX keep the question Open.