Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

what make my 6.0 diesel start hard.long crank time before it fires and sometimes have

Customer Question

what make my 6.0 diesel start hard.long crank time before it fires and sometimes have to wait and try later.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, do you know if there are any codes in the computer? What you are describing could be either a high pressure oil system leak or a failing FICM. It would be very helpful to know if there are codes stored. Thanks

Customer :

do not know of any codes at this time

Dieseljunky2 :

Is it harder to start whenthe engine temperature is colder or warmer? How is the performance affected by engine temperature, better or worse as the engine warms up?

Customer :

if it sits for a while it get harder to start.plugged in or not

Dieseljunky2 :

After it warms up the power and starting are good?

Customer :

better but not like it should be. still have to crank for some time

Customer :

power is good just hard to fire

Dieseljunky2 :

With the symptoms, it is had to say whether it is the FICM or a leak inthe high pressure oil system. Normally if the FICM is failing, it is very hard to start cold, but runs fine when warm, until it just about to fail. How long has this been going on? A leak in the high pressure oil system will make it hard to start and lower power when hot. This can also cause it to have to sit untill cooled slightly before restarting. I think you may have a leak in the oil system from your last comment. When it starts cold, does it run very rough?

Customer :

not to rough,just had oil pump put in and egr delete kit, injectors only have 70000 miles when they where replaced.

Dieseljunky2 :

OIl pump for the engine or for the injectors?

Customer :

engine

Customer :

they said oil presure was low and would not open up injector

Dieseljunky2 :

OK, then you will need a scan tool to read the codes and monitor the sensor data. I believe that there is a leak in the high pressure oil system. This is not something you want to just go into without a reason to. We will need this in order to continue. I don't want to tell you to change something without codes or sensor data to verify it. Guessing will not save you money in the long run.

Customer :

ok i will get codes and sensor data, how do i get back with you

Dieseljunky2 :

You just reply back to me like you are doing now. Thanks