Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2002 ford explorer: the SecuriLock or PATS system is defective

my 2002 ford explorer engine is locked up or frozen up. I suspect that that the SecuriLock or PATS system is defective. does the engine lock up whens
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The anti theft system can not lock the engine , when its active, it shuts the fuel system off. If the engine can not be turned than some internal is causing to be locked. Try removing the spark plugs and see if it will turn then, it may me liquid locked .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What kind of liquid lock can it be, water, gas, or oil? Have you ever solved this kind of problem before?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
It would have to be fuel or coolant. If its water then you have a blown head gasket, if its fuel then you have excessive fuel pressure. I have seen both .

Edited by Ron on 1/24/2011 at 7:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it is not liquid, what are the other reasons that would cause the engine to lock based on what I described?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

If it not liquid, then it would likely be a rod bearing issue and would need further tear down. Pulling the spark plugs would tell.

Edited by Ron on 1/24/2011 at 7:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there any preliminary test that I can conduct, other than pulling the spark plugs and tearing down the engine, to pinpoint this problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

The first step is to pull the plugs and see if the cylinder are dry, if they are then there is no other way of knowing why its loked with out tearing it down.