Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech

2001 ford expedition: exhaust manifold..gasket..the bolts heads

I have a badly rusted exhaust manifold on a 2001 ford expedition. The gasket is bad. the bolts heads have rusted badly. How much should it cost to repair the gasket with these challenges?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 3 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

Bamaman39 :

Which side this the manifold leaking from

Bamaman39 :

also is it 2wd or 4wd?

Customer:

the right

Customer:

4wd

Customer:

the bolt heads are badly rusting away

Customer:

i know there is much labor involved in repairing it.

Customer:

i am curious to know how much it will or should cost.

Bamaman39 :

give me one min to get the labor hours for you

Customer:

can you also tell me what is involved?

Bamaman39 :

To replace the gaskets you are looking around 4 hours labor. Now if the studs are broken inside the head then i will be more time. I have had to remove the head before to remove all the broken studs but maybe none will break on you

Customer:

they are very badly rusted. i expect they will break

Bamaman39 :

well sometimes if you spray some pb blaster on them the nuts will come off.

Customer:

there are almost no heads left on the bolts

Customer:

worst case, they break. how much am i looking at?

Bamaman39 :

It all depends on if they break where they break at. If there are some stud left hanging out you can get a retracter tool to get it now if they break in the head you can try a easy out. but if you cannot access you will have to take the head off

Customer:

i can not do this repair

Customer:

you can not give me a worst case cost?

Customer:

am i better off bringing it to ford service or a private garage?

Customer:

is my time up?

Bamaman39 :

wait

Bamaman39 :

i will give you the instructions and you can try yourself. You might get lucky and none break. Your worse case scenario is the sttuds break in the head and head removal is a must. that repair is 11 hours

Customer:

lol...i am not a mechanic

Customer:

should i go to ford service?

Customer:

it should cost about $1000?

Bamaman39 :

If it was me i would call and get shop labor hours from the dealer and a good local mechanic then ask how long will it be. Me personally i work for ford so i would say carry it to the dealer but there are good local mechanics so the choice is yours

Bamaman39 :

gaskets are around 20 bucks

Bamaman39 :

labor is 4 hours at what ever the shop labor rate is

Customer:

ok. you are confidant about the amount of hours in the worst case?

Bamaman39 :

Yes worse case the labor rate for the head is 11.8 hours by the book. if they charge more then you will need to tell them

Bamaman39 :

Thats for pulling the head off

Bamaman39 :

If one breaks and they can get it out with a drill bit and easy out then add around 1 hour with that 4 hours

Customer:

ok, thanks

Bamaman39 :

no problem

Customer:

at least i can know if they are trying to screw me

Bamaman39 :

yes im glad i can help

Customer:

have a great day

Bamaman39 :

you to

Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech