Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel

Ford explorer: drivers belt will not extend - it..engaged

1999 4 door ford explorer - drivers seat belt will not extend - it is stuck like it is engaged but in the non extended position - it will not move at all
Hi I would like to help you out. The seatbelt has a retractor in which it winds around inside the b pillar underneath the interior trim panel. The reason the seat belt will not pull out is because the retractor is jammed, by removing the panel you can do a visual inspection to see if there is anything jamming it, if it looks ok the retractor is internally jammed or locked and the seat belt/retractor will need to be replaced. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Thanks and good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I get to and remove it?
If you slide the drivers seat full forward and reclined to the steering wheel you can access this panel the seat belt goes into. This panel is just clipped in so if you pull it back easy you can see the clips and pull that area back t release them. Once the panel is removed or pulled back enough to access the belt you can remove it by removing the one torx screw on the retractor and the one screw at the top hook for the belt. Then it can be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry - what size Torx do I need - it is much larger than anything I have
The manual doesn't say the size nut I believe it's a t50 or t55.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.