A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2001 FORD TAURUS: POWER STEERING..YOU TURN CAR OFF FLUID POORS OUT TOP

Customer Question

2001 FORD TAURUS POWER STEERING PROBLEM WHEN CAR IS RUNNING WITH RESIVIOR FULL STEERING WORKS WHEN YOU TURN CAR OFF FLUID POORS OUT TOP OF RESIVOR WHEN YOU START IT AGAIN RESIVOR GOES EMPTY
Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi Thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

This sounds like the power steering pump, or the steering rack, or the hoses to and from are plugged.

david :

First thing you need to do is test that the pump is working. remove the pressure hose from the pump and start the car

david :

Sorry I misunderstood the problem. Under these circumstances I would think the resistor cap is bad. Or the pump is internally fouling causing pressure to get to the resistor

david :

Let me know

Customer:

WHAT IS THE RESISTOR

david :

The reservoir Sorry spell check changed it for me. The word is reservoir is were the power steering fluid goes.

Customer:

I KNOW WERE THE FLUID GOES WHE TURN ENGINE OFF ABOUT HALF A QT OF FLUID POORS OUT TO OF RESERVOIR

Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

You have air entering the power steering system causing the fluid to aerate and expand causing the fluid to overfill the power steering reservoir when you turn the key off.

It can be caused by a failed/leaking power steering rack and pinion or a failed seal to the power steering pump pressure line or a bad power steering pump. You may not have a power steering leak that is allowing fluid to drip on the ground, but the leak you have is drawing air into the power steering system causing the fluid to FOAM UP allowing it to overfill the fluid reservoir.

These are the hard leaks to locate.

I would recommend you take it to a mechanic you can trust to locate the source of your problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am a mechanic i have never had a car do this thats why i am asking you so its a 50/50 chance pump or rack

is the fluid when it flows out of the power steering reservoir foamy?
You will have to check this when you turn the Taurus off.

We have seen problems with the nylon orings for the pressure line to the pump. The rack seals can draw air in.

Check the belows on the power steering rack and see if there is any fluid in the belows.

Also, replaced the nylon o ring for the pressure line on the power steering pump. This is the line that screws into the pump.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOUND PROBLEM IT HAD A CRUSHED RETURN HOSE

Glad you have located the problem with your power steering. A crushed hose can and will cause problems.

A restriction, as well as an air leak will cause the same concern.

What was crushing the hose?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IT LOOKS LIKE IT JUST COLAPSED 10 YEARS OLD

I would check the rest of the hoses. Make sure they are not close to collapsing also.

What are the weather conditions where you live?