Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

Ford F150 IS there a way to reset the PATS system on a 2001

IS there a way to reset the PATS system on a 2001 F150 without the key fob? It's beeping when I open the door and it will beep when i try to put it in "on" and the starter motor is cut out. had to change the battery because the previous one was not holding a charge, but the alarm started up the moment I rehooked the terminals. is there a key-in-the-door-lock method that will allow us to reset the PATS?

Daniel :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

JACUSTOMER-05jxoi48- :

fire when ready.

Daniel :

Ok I am gathering your info be right back I have no questions at this time.

Daniel :

If you are using one of the keys that has always worked you possibly have a bad pats transceiver. it is located on the steering column and fits around the key cylinder. I would also check fuses 2, 6 and 30 under the dash.

Daniel :

If thats checks out and the red light is flashing rapidly the PATS System has been activated and a trip to the dealer for correct diagnostics will be the next step. If the security system were that it easy to override or bypass it wouldn't be worth much. The dealer has the proper diagnostic equipment to access the system concerns to do the repair.

Daniel :

You may have hooked neg cable back up first this stresses electrical system.

Daniel :

very few other shops have the qualified equiptment besides dealer.

JACUSTOMER-05jxoi48- :

dealer is the only one capable of resetting it? no other general mechanic or locksmith has the equipment available to reset it?

JACUSTOMER-05jxoi48- :

well, that answers that. thank you very much for your time.

Daniel :

most of the time thats correct