Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2001 ford taurus: wont start when engin..car started..warms..runs fine

hello, I have a 2001 ford taurus that wont start when engin is cold. I would have to spray starting fluid into intake manifold to get the car started. once it warms up it starts up fine and runs fine. shut it for 20 mintues and it wont start up, a continuous cycle. I tested fuel pump, change plugs, fuel pressure test with engin off ignition on (52 psi). what can this be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Have you ever tried pushing the pedal a little to see if it would start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, that's is the first thing I atempt to start the car. Then I resort to using the quick start, then have an assistant turn the ignition while I work the accelerator lever to start the car. That is the only way it would start after sitting for a while(20 min).

Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
This is a common problem with the fuel pump, there is a check valve in the fuel pump and it lets the fuel all drain back into the tank and that causes the fuel pressure to be low when first trying to start the engine. To be sure you would need to check the fuel pressure when the engine is cold and the problem is happening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that's exactly what I did, check it with the engine cold.(50 psi). Engine hot car runs fine, engine cold car won't start. This problem is always there.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
So the 50 psi is with the engien not running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
Ok if this is the case and the plugs are good as you described you changed, I would be sure the spark is good, a cheap tester can be purchased to be sure it is good. If it is good I would suspect a coolant temp sending unit, if it is sending the wrong temp to the computer the engine will have a hard time starting after setting for awhile.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! you confirm what is was thinking #1. I will try that and get back to you. #2 could fuel pressure regulator cause that also?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.
No the fuel pressure regulator would not cause this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One thing I forgot to mention is there were no prior trouble codes(DTC). However, I did change the coolant sensor. The car did start start but now I'am getting a DTC code Po117. left the car park overnight. Try to start it the next day, Won't Start.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.

Below is a test that would need to be done it(the code) is for the coolant temp sensor.

1. The code would be set if the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) voltage dropped to .2 volts or less. Typical ECT voltage at hot idle is about .5-.6 volts.

2. Disconnect the ECT sensor and check for reference voltage on the Light Green/Red (LG/RD) wire. This voltage should be between 4.7-5.0 volts.

3. If there is no voltage, check the LG/RD wire for a short to ground between the sensor and pin 38 of C175 of the PCM.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. question, there is a silver metal disc between the fuel line going back to the tank, there is no vac line attach to it, What is this disc? Is it a Check valve?
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.

Below is a better more complete test for the coolant temp sensor wiring and sensor. As for the disk I would need more info or a picture to identify it.

1. Disconnect the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor and check the voltage on the Light Green/Red (LG/RD) wire from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The voltage should be roughly 4.6-4.8v. If the voltage is low, check the wire for high resistance, open circuit, or continuity to ground between the sensor and pin 38 of the PCM. Repair the wire as needed.

2. If the voltage on the LG/RD wire checks OK, check the Gray/Red (GY/RD) wire at the ECT sensor for a good ground. If not a good ground, repair the circuit between the ECT sensor and pin 91 of the PCM.

3. If the wires check OK with the ECT sensor disconnected, check the resistance of the sensor itself. The resistance should be roughly 37 K ohms at 68*F, 7.7 K ohms at 140*F, and 2 K ohms at 212*F. If the resistance is incorrect based on actual engine temperature, suspect a defective or incorrect ECT sensor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
resolve problem, coil was firing intermittenly #2 & #3. install new coil.
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 years ago.

Great I am glad you got it repaired. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic