John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles

Ford F250 Pickup 2008 ford 6.4 diesel, after removing EGR

2008 ford 6.4 diesel, after removing EGR bolts how do you remove the EGR valve? Is it stus in housing and do I need to get a new housing, how much trouble is it to remove housing?
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question. Yes there is a special tool for removing the valve that is available from rotunda tools for dealers. It is about 300.00 and is a real pain to use. I have been removing them using a air chisel and get the blade under the lip of the flange and it will usually break it free and then it will come out. Unless your truck has more than 100,000 miles on it or is past five years from the original date of sale it would be covered by the diesel warranty and would cost you $100 for the dealer to perform the repair. If you wish to you can remove just the part of the intake that the valve is in and work on it off the truck as well.