CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

2003 Ford F250: front axle..both ball joints..spindle..pull

Trying to get front axle out of 2003 Ford F250 have both ball joints loose on spindle cant get spindle off does the axle pull through the spindle first then the spindle comes off or does the spindle have to come off first
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

The axle comes out first through the spindle. You need to remove the wheel hub bearing first by removing the 4 nuts on the back side of the spindle and then you can knock the axle and seal through the spindle to remove it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have hub assembly off im down to the spindle and axle how do I remove the axle its loose but something in the spindle is holding it and I cant knock it out what is your advice on getting the seals and stuff out of the inside of spindle do I knock it from the back of spindle where the yoke is and drive it toword the wheel side and whats your advice on doing that without tearing anything up

You should knock the seal from the backside of the spindle with a drift or similar tool and it should loosen the seal up to where the axle and seal can be removed. The seals should always be replaced when they are removed as they usually get damaged when removing and will not seal properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is very tight quarters back there so everything should drive out the front side where the splined side of the axle sticks out of spindle if you dont have a drift what else could be used
A punch, chisel, pry bar or even a piece of wood can be used along with a hammer to push out the seal and axle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so you can get behind the yoke on the axle and pry on the axle itself to force evrything out of the front of the spindle then replace sills and drive everything back into the spindle
.It does need to be forced pryed or whatever you can do to get the axle out. The seal is used to seal the hub to hold vacuum to it it needs to be a perfect tight fit so not vacuum is lost which is why it can be difficult to remove.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it common for the u joint in the axle to go bad I replaced the hub assembly two weeks ago and fixed that problem what im experiencing now is a rough almost popping noise when I turn in either direction only when the wheels are turn all the way either left or right the hub assembly was roaring like I had mudd tiresa on the truck changed hub assembly that fixed that.
It is possible and not too uncommon that the u joints are bad. When you remove the axle you can move the stub shaft of the axle and there should be no binding in any direction when moving the shaft.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So just get behind the spindle and pry like crazy once the vacuum breaks in theory it should come out right. Hey man thinks for your help. You have been very helpful.

It may not quite pop out like we would all like, but it should break free. It does take some effort and can be frustrating even for myself. Best case scenario would be to do everything from the back side and pry or hammer in the direct you want the axle to come out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would some penetrating oil help at all

Yes, that would not be a bad idea.

CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified