Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

stuck oil pressure relief valve in 7.3 diesel and where is it located

Customer Question

what a symtoms of stuck oil pressure relief valve in 7.3 diesel and where is it located?
Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

The relief valve is in the oil filter housing

Full Size Image

david :

With a stuck oil pressure relief valve, the oil pressure is not regulated as it is supposed to be, resulting in possible low oil pressure and engine damage due to oil starvation.

Customer:

David, it carries good oil pressure except when idling (engine hot). Will only carry about 8-10lbs.

david :

OK some questions

david :

what weight oil are you using, are you using an external pressure gauge or the dash gauge?

Customer:

What should oil pressue be at hot idle. Could it be oil pressure releif valve stuck or bad spring?

Customer:

I am using rotella 10-40 and use a maual guage

Customer:

It looks like you are trying to send but I am not receiving anything.

david :

Ok is the engine running? Decause the High or low Pressure needs to be 500psi for the Injectors will not open.

david :

*Because*

Customer:

I am talking about oil pressure not fuel pressure. Engine runs great. Just idles at a very low oil pressure when ideling.

david :

I understand you are talking about the oil pressure. The fuel injectors are fired off the oil pressure, If there is no or low oil pressure the injectors will mot open. This is to prevent engine damage.

david :

Another expert will be right with you.

Expert:  Ford expert replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

The oil pressure regulator is located in the oil filter housing , and try rebuilding that but most likely if you have low oil pressure at idle you have worn main bearings on the crankshaft .

Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs,experience shop owner,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please tell me what oil pressure should be on 7.3 diesel engine at idle when hot? (mechanical guage) Also could the pressure releif valve be causing this?

Thank you very much.

what is your vin number?