John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

how to replace the camshaft position sensor on a 1997 ford taurus?

Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 3 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

The camshaft sensor is very easy to replace on these cars. It is located to the left and directly under the throttle body. You will have to move the spark plug wires and the plastic wire harness out of the way. Then you use a 5.5 mm socket to remove the sensor and install a new on.

John Mc :

one.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

Customer :

someone told me that the sensor has to be set,is it just plug and go?

Customer :
1:19 PM

John Mc :

If you are replacing the part the sensor sits on you have to time it. To do this first off you need to take the sensor off. This is how I do it and it is very easy. Once the sensor is off use a camera and take a picture of the syncronizer (part the sensor sits on). Now make sure the new one is in the same position as the old one and it is good. If yours is damaged you will need to get a timing tool from a dealer and you install the syncronizer with the engine at top dead center with the tool on the syncronizer. Then you can install the sensor.

Customer :

Here is my issue,i have the 3.0 overhead valve u engine,i swapped engines in it and after i got the engine installed everything is the same expect my camshaft position sensor has 3 prongs and the one that came with the engine i bought has two prongs.i bought a camshaft senor that has 3 prongs and installed it but it wont start,do i have to switch the housing?

John Mc :

Yes you have to change the syncronizer, you can just take the one off your other engine but you will need the timing tool to get it in right.

Customer :

Ok,do i just go to the dealer and go to parts,and do you know how much the tool is?

John Mc :

What year is your car and I'll see if I can find on on ebay for you.

John Mc :

Sorry, 97. Hold on.

Customer :

1997

Customer :

also the magnet piece that is on the 3 prong sensor is in the middle and on the 2 prong sensor its on the side,wil that make a difference after i have thae tool?

John Mc :

You just need the tool, the sensor and the syncronizer for a 97. The other parts are not interchangeable.

John Mc :

I found several of the tools. Some were as high as $135 but I found this one. This is a pretty good price.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/speciality_tools-synch_tool-2972-d.html

Customer :

Ok,thank you,so to be clear,the engine i installed has the two prong sensor,and my original wiring harness which i am using has the 3 prong harness,so i bout a 3 prong sensor so that my 3 prong harness will plug in to it,i am leaving the housing from the motor i installed.So all i need is this tool to set it and i am good correct?Also can you give me directions on using the tool once i have it?

John Mc :

No you have to use the housing from the 3 prong sensor, these are different between 3 prong and 2 prong sensors. If you look at both you will see the difference. You need the tool to install it. I give you the tool number for the 97 model original parts. Now, to install you insert the tool onto the syncronizer (base). Make sure your engine is on top dead center on the compression stroke on the number 1 cylinder (rear bank furthest to the passenger side). Now install the base with the tool on it and tighten it down. Now install the electrical part of the sensor and it will all be right again.

John Mc :

Any further questions? If not and if I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience