John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

2005 ford focus: with the check fuel cap light on..light stays on

I have a 2005 ford focus station wagon with the check fuel cap light on. I replaced it with a new ford cap and the light stays on. What do i have to do to get the light to go off?

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

If your gas cap light is still coming on after replacing the cap chances are you have an issue with one of your evap (gas vapor) hoses on your tank has come loose. You will have to follow all the lines off of the fuel tank to find which one is loose. If none are loose it is possible you have a vapor management valve that is not opening or you have a small hole rubbed in one of the hoses. If that is the case you will need to take it to a shop that has a smoke machine leak detector. This machine fills up the fuel tank with smoke then they can search all the lines and see where the smoke is coming out. Once they find it they can repair it. This can get pretty complex trying to find the problem so if you don't see something obvious I wouldn't go too far trying to figure it out yourself.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

John Mc