John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2001 Explorer Sport: rear left brake light..turn signal..stop working

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that has problem with the rear left brake light and turn signal. In the beginning it would stop working on occasion and then start working again for no apparent reason. Now they do not work at all. The bulb has been changed and made no difference at all. Acts like it was a loose connection in the beginning and appears now the connection has come off or broken. Any suggestions as to where to start looking that would involve both the brake light and turn signal?

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

Customer:

ok thanks

John Mc :

You have hit the nail on the head with the loose connection! It is most likely caused by a bad connector that is on the turn signal switch. We replace these all the time. Just go to your local dealer and ask for a turn signal switch connector. You remove the wires from yours one at a time and install them into the new connector. Once done it should be back to normal.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

Customer:

how detailed is it to get to this turn signal switch

John Mc :

You just have to remove the steering column shrouds.

John Mc :

Then use a torx bit to remove the turn signal switch.

Customer:

that sounds easy enough lol and this switch causes the brake light to fail also?

John Mc :

Yes, it is the same wiring for the brake lights.

Customer:

ok great I'll give that a try would you happen to have an approx cost of this connector by any chance

John Mc :

Yes it's around $15.

Customer:

good wont have to get a second job to fix it i thank you john for your help and will gladly accept your answer

John Mc :

Thanks!