John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

Ford Explorer 4x4 2006 Explorer 4 door location of the computer

2006 Explorer 4 door location of the computer module for the keyless entry factory code.
Looked behind the right rear passenger seat under the seat belt panel, found a module but no access code.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

On your truck the code is printed on the smart junction box (fuse box) label. You will have to remove the fuse box to see the label. The fuse box is the module for the keyless entry.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

Hello John,

John Mc :

Hi!

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

I have looked in the engine compartment at the fuse box cover and also under the dash drivers side and found no lable or code.

John Mc :

They are supposed to have a label on the interior fuse box. Here is a quote from the manual.

"Each vehicle equipped with an RKE keypad is programmed with a 5-digit entry code. This code is provided to the customer through a wallet card in the owner literature package. In addition, this code is available through a diagnostic tool and is also printed on the SJB label. When entering codes each digit must be entered within 5 seconds of the previous button press."

SJB refers to the smart junction box, which is the interior fuse box. If the label is not on the box then the only other option would be to have a dealer scan the module to get you the code, unless the card is in your owners manual packet.

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

My Owners Guide quote from pg 112 Locks & Security states the "code is located on the owners wallet (which was lost) and is marked on the computer module" and of course from the dealer. Is this the same module you are speaking of?

John Mc :

Yes that is what I am referring to. Sometimes the labels are on the sides of the fuse box and as I said, you may have to remove it to be able to see the label.

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

I have removed it and looked at the fuse box covers inside and out. Is there any other place it may be?

John Mc :

Sorry but no. Either the label was never on it or it has come off over the years. I have seen several that never had a label on them.

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

Let me be sure I have the right fuse box. The cover I have is approx 1 3/4" x 6 1/4" x 1/2" thick with tabs, notches and extrusions. How large would the lable be?

John Mc :

If you are referring to the fuse box INSIDE the vehicle then yes. The lables are usually 1"x2"

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

Is there any other alternative to the dealer scanning the explorer ? Such as auto parts store or there is a site online that advertises the codes for this make and model

John Mc :

Sorry but the only way is a dealer scanner. I don't know of any other brand scan tool that will pull the code. No way to get the code without scanning, there is no database of codes for vehicles so sorry, no website. Best advice I can give is to call a few local dealers, some will do this service for free. Say you also need an oil change and can they check this real quick for you. Small dealers are more likely to take care of this and comp the charge just to get a new customer.

JACUSTOMER-aqjjk3n2- :

Thank you

John Mc :

You're welcome!

John Mc :

Any further questions? If not and I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc