NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master

Ford F350 SuperDuty Pickup 4x4 2008 F350 WONT START AFTER

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 4 years ago.
Hi, are all EGT sensors connected? or was any eliminated? Any wireing required in delete kit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, All three EGT sensors & 1 Pressure sensor are hooked back up. No wireing was modified. When I went to the dealer to get 1 new EGT sensor because one was stuck in the original exhaust I asked the service manager what would keep it from starting he said the middle EGT sensor would. So I bought an extra one and changed that one also.

Okay, great, I can help. Yes if the middle sensor fails will cause your concern, and removing wiring to install a kit, is possible to agitate a possible open in wiring as well.

Sensor will see excessive exhaust heat after the dpf and shut off truck as a safety measure. If the wiring itslef is open, will cause the same concern. Does the truck currently start? Has this happenend intermittently, on and off? Most importantly, is there a code saying egt 1-2 or 1-3 fault?

Edited by NicksSticks on 1/15/2011 at 3:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think what happened was when I started it with one sensor missing the first time it locked it out. And now with it replaced it will still not start. Is there a reset that needs to be done?
No, sorry, this is likely a wiring problem, especially if happend as soon as conversion was attempted. We need to check for codes, have a good idea where the problem is, but can not be verified, unless codes are checked, erased (due to kit installed) and rechecked immediatly. Certain this is wiring related.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Hi, sorry if unhappy with answer, I can continue to help if wanted, will work with you until problem fixed, or atleast pointed in right direction. Main thing, is there a code, pointing to exhaust temp sensor, 2 or three?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no code, sensor 2 & 3 are brand new & sensor 1 is the origonal one & I tried swapping that one also. The truck started yesterday with sensor 3 missing and ran okay. But when I updated the edge programmer online with the update and put it back in the truck that when the problem started. I called edge today & they said if it was the program then it would still try and turn over. But it dosen't even do that.
Okay, now that is great infromation. What does your Edge programmer use, is it just a hookup to the standard connector, or was pcm removal required, for a chip to be installed? Sounds like the pcm recieved incorrect data, and is confused. A programmer can cause these symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Programmer only plugs into the diagonistic port under the dash.

okay great.

is the programmer able to read codes? if so have you attempted to read any codes?

Next, if click is coming from dash, and not starter, batteries will not be at fault, you are correct, if coming from under dash, or a relay box, there is a electronic fault, or network fault here. If happenened as soon as update installed, most likely is related. A corrupted program can, cause the problems you are having, but can not be verified unless codes are scanned.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Programmer reads codes, but there are none right now. Click sound like a relay that might be turning on the fuel pump? They reloaded the programmer from the backup today but that didn't work either. Is there some kind of lockout maybe?