RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

4x4 dont work on my 1999 f150

4x4 dont work on my 1999 f150
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.

RJ :

Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer. Have you had a scanner installed to check for fault codes in the 4x4 system ?

RJ :

Do you have a scanner ?

RJ :

Did you replace the gem module your self ?

Customer:

no scanner and i did change the gem myself

Customer:

gem came out of the same kind of truck with all the same stuff on it

Customer:

i did have a code read at a auto parts store ,and it did have a transmission code

RJ :

Do you know what the trans code was? a fault in the trans range sensor could cause a 4x4 inop concern. This system is electronically controlled and will require a scanner capable of testing the GEM module, since you have already replaced everything , i think you need to get the gem tested.

Customer:

i dont have the codes. but both gem did the same thing so i dont think it is in that

Customer:

can you get wiring diagrams for the 4x4 system? i have a boo but it dont show what i need to see

Customer:

you still here?

RJ :

sorry i had connection issues .

RJ :

I can get you a diagram that may help, but seriously to diagnose this system requires a scanner, if there are codes in the transmission this will effect 4x4 operation.

RJ :

Let me find you a diagram.

Customer:

thank you for the diagrams .... the truck was wrecked and the 4wd stopped working right after... so i was trying to rule out a short...and also i didnt know were the relays were for the 4wd ..... so do you think it has to be took to a ford dealer or wud any decent!!! code reader work?