Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford Escape I replaced the power steering pump in my 2001

I replaced the power steering pump in my 2001 Ford Escape. I bled the lines but the pump is making noise. I re-flushed the system to get out all the air bubble but new ones are being re-introduced. I can't find any leaks, what should I do next?

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

need to rotate the steering wheel back and forth for five minutes to get all the air out

Steve :

and if possible put the system under a vacuum

Steve :

Cycle the steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes

Steve :

2001 Escape Workshop Manual

Vacuum Pump Kit
416-D002 (D95L-7559-A) or Equivalent

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, premature power steering pump failure can result. This condition can occur on pre-delivery vehicles with evidence of aerated fluid or on vehicles that have had steering component repairs.

1. NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump may be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be performed prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid.

Remove the power steering pump reservoir cap. Check the fluid.

• Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or equivalent MERCON® fluid.

1. Tightly insert the stopper of the vacuum pump into the reservoir.

Steve :

there is a special tool vacuum pump that helps get the air out

Steve :

2001 Escape Workshop Manual

1. Start the vehicle.

1. Apply maximum vacuum and maintain it for a minimum of three minutes with the engine speed at idle.

Steve :

2001 Escape Workshop Manual

1. Release the vacuum and remove the vacuum pump.

1. [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] CAUTION: Do not overfill the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir.

• Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivale

Steve :

Reinstall the vacuum pump. Apply and maintain maximum vacuum

Steve :

CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump can occur.

Cycle the steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes.

Steve :

2001 Escape Workshop Manual

1. Stop the engine, release the vacuum, and remove the vacuum pump.

1. Install the reservoir cap.

1. Check for fluid leaks at all of the connections. If the power steering fluid shows signs of air, repeat this procedure

JACUSTOMER-uw5uagfs- :

Ok, so I need to get a vacuum pump. I would have to agree that air is the problem.

Steve :

HI

Steve :

first try Cycle the steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes

Steve :

if that does not work then get a vacuum pump

Steve :

Sometimes it takes a long time to get the air out

JACUSTOMER-uw5uagfs- :

Ok great I'll try that thanks for the help.

Steve :

thanks for the accept