Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,

i have a 2003 f150. four wheel drive not working. its an ESOF system.

Customer Question

i have a 2003 f150. four wheel drive not working. its an ESOF system. i checked voltage to the two solenoids on the firewall for voltage. its my understanding that i should have 12 volts to both solenoids. i have 12 volts on one of them but only two volts on the other. i have nothing engaging when i turn the switch to 4 hi or 4 low. nor is the light on the dash coming on. any help woukd be really appreciated. thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Could you tell me is the transfer case engaging and four wheel drive and just the front axle is not locking or is neither happening?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

neither is happening

Very often this is caused by either a faulty gem module or a faulty shift motor , Let's start by using a scan tool and see if there any trouble codes Stored in the memory of the PCM . This will help us pinpoint your problem more easily
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a scan tool to check for codes. however i have not gotten a check engine light. would a fauly shift motor cause me to have only two volts on the solenoid?

The white wire with the light blue tracer on each solenoid should have 12 volts , this comes directly from the fuse box graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your prompt answers. i really appreciate it. im a ford mechanic myself for the last several years but this one had me scratching my head, thanks again
You're very welcome thank you