Bob
Bob, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair
50732288

Ford Crown Victoria Police My 98 Crown Victoria (Police Interceptor)

My 98 Crown Victoria (Police Interceptor) running lights do not work. When I turn ignition on and engage the high beam, those lights comes on as long as engaged, but goes out when released. Also when the ignition is on the back up lights does comes on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob. I will do my best to assist you.

Bob :

Have you checked the fuses?

Customer :

yes.

Bob :

Fuse 8 & 4 in the instrument panel fuse box provide power to the lightring control module, did you check these?

Customer :

Yes, I pulled every one of them and they were fine.

Bob :

Do you have a test light?

Customer :

Yes.

Bob :

Does you test light illuminate when you touch both sides of these 2 fuses?

Bob :

Also fuse

Customer :

Idid not use a light I did a visual

Bob :

I would test them with the test light to make sure you have power going to the fuse. Also fuse # XXXXX is for the back up lights test that one too. Do you have a wiring diagram?

Bob :

The back up lights do not work when in reverse, correct?

Customer :

I will check them with the test light, but the back up lights comes on when in reverse.

Bob :

In your question you mentioned a porblem with the back up lights, what is happening with them?

Customer :

No, nothing with the back up lights, they come on when in reverse.

Customer :

I don't have head lights or dash lights.

Bob :

So just the parking lights are not working then?

Customer :

AND NO BACK LIGHTS.

Customer :

No lights comes on when I turn the switch on. No head lights, no tail lights, and no parking lights.

Customer :

And no dash lights.

Bob :

Here is a diagram for the parking light system. The red lines are power for the parking lights. The lighting control module provides power to the brown wire for the parking lights.

Customer :

Thanks Bob, what do you think is the running lights problem?

Bob :

The dash light are also controlled by the lighting control module. I would test the wiring at the lighting control module to make sure you have power and ground to it. If power and ground are good then the module may be the problem.

Customer :

What about the head, and tail ?

Customer :

lights

Bob :

The headlights are also controlled by the lighting control module.

Customer :

Which of the modules are the lighting control?

Bob :

It is also referred to as the GEM module.

Bob :

Let me see if I can find a location.

Customer :

okey

Bob :

This is another lighting control module diagram with all the wires going to it. 5 different fuses power it and the grounds are shown too.

Bob :

Do you have a scanner for to scan for codes? This module has self test capabilities.

Customer :

No, I don't have one.

Bob :

The LCM (lighting control module) is mounted in the same location in all 1995 and later crown vics. It's under the dash, above the gas pedal in between the climate controls and steering column.

Bob :

The module is in a black plastic case.

Bob :

If you're having trouble locating it, engage the hazard flashers and listen to where the source of the clicking sound is coming from. You can also place your keys in the ignition and open the drivers door and track down the module by listening to where the warning buzzer tone is coming from.

Customer :

I guess this problem will have to go to a shop, the one I took it to said it was the switch, but I substituted a new one but it still did not work. they want to charghe nearly $400.00 to replace it, thats why I contacted you for help.

Customer :

Is it common for a case like this?

Bob :

The modules do go bad. If wiring gets shorted out it can cuase this module to fail.

Bob :

$400 to replaced the headlight switch?

Customer :

mean the lights going out like this?

Bob :

I have not seen your problem much. That is why I suggested checking all the power and grounds to the module first.

Customer :

Well I will see what I can do, but it looks like this one will have to back to a shop.

Bob :

The headlight switch does provide power to the LCM. It is the white/black wire at the headlight switch. You may want to check with your test light at that wire with the headlights on to see if power is coming from the headlight switch.

Bob :

If you want more assistance please reply back. If you are satisfied with my assistance please click on the Accept Answer button for this is how I get paid.

Customer :

The lights were working until some work on the back bumper, it was removed, then after they put it back on the lights did not work.

Customer :

Perhaps they pintched ou severed a wire?

Bob :

That is possible. Can you take it back to the place that did the bumper work?

Bob :

I would also test the fuses in the fuse panel under the hood because they also provider power to the headlight switch.

Customer :

It was done by a friend of the previous owner, the previous owner is going to pay for repaires, but the guy that did the work is out of the picture now.

Customer :

I guess you've done all you can, I will just have to let some shop fix it. Thanks

Bob, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair