Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 F-150: step instructions of how to replace fuel pump..supercrew

Customer Question

step by step instructions of how to replace fuel pump on 2001 F-150 supercrew
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Is this a mid ship tank?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Enclosed are the step to replace the pump, the tank has to be lowered down or removed.

DOWNLOAD HERE and HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, midship
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes I saw that, there is only a midship.

Here are the steps you need.

DOWNLOAD HERE and HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to change the fuel filter too. SHould I change that before or after the pump and how do I relieve the pressure in the line to do that?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

You can change the filter eaither way, before or after, to relive the pressure, go to the fuel rail service port on the drivers side of the intake manifold and hold the valve stem down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I get a diagram of the undercarriage that shows where the intake manifold and service port might be?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

The intake manifold is on top of the engine. and the service port is a valve stem that is built into the fuel rail that holds the injectors into the Intake.

Here are instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I assume there is no way to do this without a Fuel Pressure gauge?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yo can do this without a fuel pressure gauge, remove the plactic cap and with a small screw driver, press the valve stem in, if the truck has set for a while there will not likely be much pressure if any.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great....that is kinda what I was thinking but figured I'd ask just in case. I'm going to go try all of this and let you know.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
If you follow the steps, you should be fine, its not a bad job at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great. Will let you know if I have anymore questions...thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Your very welcome, and thank you very much as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've replaced the filter already and have gotten to the step where I'm supposed to drain the tank. I guess my tank has an anti theft contraption on it bc I can't get the siphon hose all the way down. Step 5 says to refer to Section 310-00A. Can you send that over please?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Before you drain, how much fuel do you have it it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Little under half a tank. Probaby little less than 10 gal.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

You can drain it if you want, but with that amount I never do, you do not have to pull the tank all the way out, I usually just lower it enough to get to the pump, unbolt it and it pulls straight up and out. But if you want to drain, here you go.

DOWNLOAD HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, good news. To only lower the tank, I'll need to have a jack under it to lower it after I take out the bolts to the straps correct?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes you need a jack under it, then remove the straps, after the straps are unbolted, bring it down to the point that you can access the pump. So much quicker.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do...thanks. Let you know how it turns out.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome. Thank you as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got everything changed out and reinstalled. Now the check engine light is on and the idle is still occasionally bouncing up and down. Do you think out could be the idle air control? The place I took it yesterday said they hooked it up to the computer and it said the IAC was ok and that it was low pressure from fuel pump. At least that's what they said, maybe they were just trying to get more work.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

What was the actual code the light was setting?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

If they where lean codes, the most common cause is the supply line to the PCV valve , the hose at the back of the upper intake where it connects is known to rot out and leak , this cause an eratic idle and will turn the light on as well. Have a look at this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do. They didn't give me which code but I'm heading right now to the parts house to hook itup. Let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Get me the codes and we can go from there. If they are P0171 and P0174 , take a hard look at the PCV valve supply line as mentioned.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Let me know . If you need me, I am here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have the computer hooked up right now and it says
P0171 Generic
System too lean (bank 1)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
P0171 Generic
System too lean (bank 1)
And P0174
Sys too lean
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

That is the codes I expected you would get, the usual suspect is the PCV hose. Locate the PCV in the passenger side valve cover and follow the supply line around to the top of the upper intake and see if the rubber elbow is rotted out and leaking. I suspect it is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to make sure, this if the house that goes to the IAC?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

No , its no the IAC for sure. Theses are lean codes due to in 99% of all cases from a vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I send a picture?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes , you can, it has to be a jpeg and you send it by using the tree symbol in the bar above this message.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm, I'm not seeing the tree button.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Here look at this picture

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Got pictures but I can't get them to compress to under 1MB. Anyway, the 4-5in tube that connects the hard plastic hose coming from the PCV to one of the two tubes going in the top of the intake looks a bit worn. The upper hose going in the intake goes to the IAC and the lower one goes to the PCV. Do you think regular autoparts stores would have this small peice?

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Its not likely the part store will have it, it going to be a dealer item, take a close look to where it connects to the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I took a close look and I don't see any visible holes or cracks. But where the hard plastic pcv hose connects into the small 4" soft rubber hose(that goes into the intake), it's not real snug. But the end that goes into the intake, I don't see anything wrong. The rubber looks weathered and you can see small cracks when you squeeze it. Could it be sucking a small amount of air where it's not fitting snug?

You are talking about that small 4" piece correct?

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes it could be , take some carb cleaner and spray around the hose and the intake area and see if the engine speed changes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would the"service engine light turn off automatically
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
If you still have a fault it will come back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks. Any suggestions on a website or any particular place I should try to order that piece from?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, the best place is the dealer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Your very welcome, and thank you as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, do I need to click on the "Accept Answer" buttom again even though I signed up for unlimited questions for a month?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
You can hit it again if you have a subscription, if you so choose This allows me to get credit for my work but you are not charge more than the monthly subscription price.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just changed the pcv hose and valve. Service engine soon light is still on. What next?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

What are the codes you getting? This question started out as how to replace the pump.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same two. P0171 and P0174.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Then in 99% of all cases these are set due to a vacuum leak, go back and take another look at all the vacuum lines.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, how many vacuum lines are there? Can you list them so I'll know which ones to look up to see what lines are vacuum?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
There is a white sticker under you hood on the core support that will show you where each hose goes. EGR, PCV, Brake booster ...ECT.