NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
21564301

2010 F150: ...when..heater..you manually turn on on dash control..warm

Customer Question

Have a 2010 F150 that ...when started in cold weather...the heater is dead unless you manually turn on on dash control.....also turned off once while driving when warm
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

So ,, you have the heater on and hot air is blowing out the vents ,,, then you turn the truck off ,, and when you come back to the truck you start it up and the heater is not working ,, there is no air comeing out the vents , hot or cold ,,, do I have this correct ?

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is correct....no lights on the indicators nor power on ...power is to heater....as it can be turned on by touching any controls....Just shuts itself off somehow.....Did once while driving as well...after warm...
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry ,, but I work at a Ford dealer in AZ,, and I did some research on this problem , and could not find any know problems with the system through Ford and I myself have not heard of this problem in my dealer, so your problem is very rare , and I do not have any input to help on this , I will opt out and see if anyone else has seen this problem ,

Thanks,,,Chris

Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What else can I tell you....Is there a vacuum operated servo or anything that can shut the heater down? or is it strictly electronic?.....It is shutting off when there is power to it....or so it seems....unless there is a breaker somewhere that shuts down....It recovers when you push ON ...
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

th system is all electronic, no vacuum,, but like I said before ,, this is not a known problem with Ford at this time, and I have not seen this problem come through the shop ,, and on top of that its a intermittent problem witch makes it even harder to find the problem and repaire it ,,

with that said ,, your truck must still be under basic warranty and I would bring it to a Ford dealer to have them try to duplicate the problem , tell the dealer that it may take them some time to make the problem happen and they should give you a loaner truck ,,

I am sorry that I am not much help , but this is not a common problem with this unit , so it makes it hard to find the problem unless I had the truck in front of me and could try to make it happen and would start from there ..

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I didnt get an answer to my question because he never saw the problem before....Same at dealership....cant duplicate problem...but there must be a bad connection in heater that loses connectivity sometimes...
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont have any more info....and the heater did it again this am.... So no...did not get any answers that helped....
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I can help, first being a 2010, strongly recommend contacting dealer to see if still under warrenty for body concerns, along with checking if any esp warranty was purchased.

Next, let me know if you have automatic temperatue control (digital, with buttons and digital display) or manual temp control. From reviewing above posts seems like you have manual temp control. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not here to look for known problems, but fix your truck, so have to ask a few details.

First, does the fan just stop blowing or it stops blowing hot air all of a sudden?

If heat is the issue, does it blow good heat after the truck is restarted, like posted above?

Let me know, here to help, but being a 2010 strongly recommend contacting a dealer to see if repairs may be covered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem is the heater is just shut off electronically.....If I touch the control...it resumes function as if someone shut it off with the swithch....It is a manual control...not auto temp.....There is power to the heater obviously....so it must be right in the control itself.......or a bad connection....Am just trying to isolate problem ...dealer wants truck till it will duplicate problem and then order parts.....I need truck for work and cant be without it for a week....
Hi, the control supplies power to an electric door to open and close the heater passage in the air box. Very possible can be at fault, if blower motor works all the time. Dealer should beable to monitor electric motor, (or blendoor actuator) to see if erratic. Really only way to verify.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no blower doesnt work either...nor are indicator lights on...It is just like it was shut off with switch.....This morning was -30 C and it worked fine...Yesterday and the day before....no dice...before that...it was dec 27 the last time it malfunctioned....

Okay, great, thats different. Thank you for the information. The fact that no display on control assembly intermittently goes out as well, points to the control head itsef (exactly what you where thinking.) I recommend contacting dealer, explaining what exactly is going on, along with having a technician contact engineers about problem. This may help in the "okay" to order the part while you drive the truck, and come back in when part comes in (quick to install, can probably be done while you wait). May also help to talk to service manager about situation.

Hope this helps, Thanks!

NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master