Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

2000 Ford Ranger 4X4: transfer case..neutral..vacuum..front end

2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 with the running gear warm and transfer case in neutral, emmergency brake on and engine at idle the front drive shaft is still connected to the front wheels, there is no manual hubs and a large nut on the end of the front axles.I don't see any vacuum pulse disconnect to the front differencial or hubs. Was this front end designed to run all the time even when the transfer is in neutral?

Ted G. :

Yes, there is no disconnect, you always spin the frt diff and frt driveshaft.

JACUSTOMER-tdl1zsjw- :

Will it take different axles and hubs to convert this to manual hubs or is there a kit?

Ted G. :

Let me check.

Ted G. :

Gimme a minute.

Ted G. :

There is no conversion kit and because of the difference in design between the older style and yours there is no way to back convert.

Ted G. :

Which is not really bad because the older ranger locking hubs were pretty bad.

JACUSTOMER-tdl1zsjw- :

I purchased this as a runabout and very low milage. We have 14 other Ford products, some are 40,000 GVW and I didn't realize a 2000XLT with all the bells and whistles would be a product like this! Vern

Ted G. :

A lot of the companies are sacrificing fuel mileage and tire wear for reliability, my Dodge is the same way.