Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

2002 mercury sable: randomly..problem started..battery cable ends

anti-theft system randomly will not start 2002 mercury sable. problem started after replacing battery cable ends. car aways starts first thing in the morning but once shut off will not start later in the day. theft light flashes rapidly when in on position. car has 200,000+ miles. looking for a cheap or reasonable correction to this problem. is it a simple programming issue?

Daniel :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

Daniel :

Hello this may be a simple issue but it can only be addressed at the ford /mercury dealer. Its a special anti theft system and you have to have qualified equiptment

Daniel :

Some high end shops can do it.

Daniel :

But the good news is you may not have to have it towed in if it will start for you

Daniel :

Most people can start the car at all.

Daniel :

but make sure connections are secure to battery and battery to ground on car and starter. make sure fuses are not partialy out.

Daniel :

This will usually happen by connecting neg battery cable before positive.

Daniel :

you alway's want the positive cable connected first.

Customer :

Can it be as simple as reprogramming the keys? I am getting conflicting info from the Ford service in this area. they want to charge 104/hour to do a diagnostic. I am unemployed is this necessary? We have checked the obvious battery connections and grounds but not fuses. Not sure what order he connected them.

Daniel :

it may need a simple reset but the scanner will also see if you have any codes

Daniel :

try reconnecting them positive first.

Daniel :

But unless you can find a shop around your area that has a qualified scanner the dealer is the only one that can reset or diagnose it. if the key's work in the morning then they are fine. try and see if spare key works better.

Daniel :

your main key may be damaged

Customer :

no codes flashing so you are saying remove the battery cable ends and then put the positive on first? He did the negative first when he replaced the ends he just told me. It acts up no matter which key we use

Daniel :

ok key's are fine.

Daniel :

try to connect positive first you will see there is less sparking make sure everything is off in the car when you do it.

Customer :

our mechanic found the theft system problem problem for us but can't solve it. so this isn't unusual?

Customer :

is there a way to bypass the theft system?

Daniel :

no this isnt, its common you may want to check auto zone for a by pass module to the anittheft they may have to order it. but its only 45 buck and what ever your mech charges to put it in.

Daniel :

this is if the battery reconnect doesnt work.

Daniel :

Please let me know if you have any other questions before you accept. Thats what I am here for.

Customer :

So if it starts do you think i should take it to Ford or call our local mechanic about installng the bypass module? sorry husband works 2 jobs so it is up to me to resolve this.

Daniel :

I understand i would try local mech if anti theft is still flashing. For the bypass module.

Customer :

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Daniel :

Your very welcome.

Daniel :

Let me know if you have any other questions before you click on a