Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,

2007 ford: running rough..check engine light..ignition coil..idles

I have a 2007 ford fusion running rough and had check engine light had mechanic check it with tester said it was number 6 ignition coil. i changed it runs better but still idles a little rough. had friend reset check engine light with small hand held tester. light came back on tester says ignition problem but not specific

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

There is a service bulletin on your vehicle which calls for the PCM to be we flashed or reprogrammed with the latest software to correct this problem I would start by doing the reprogramming first before we start replacing any costly Parts

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The coil was definetly bad it was busted on the side  and after changing it the car runs alot better but still has check engine light and idles a little rough .the question is after changing it does the pcm need to be reflashed or reprogramed
No of the PCM does not need to be RE flashed the cause of the ignition coil but like I said there is a technical service bulletin on your particular vehicle that they have a RE flash available to cure the rough idle