Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

2001 F150 lariat: supercrew V8, It cranks but it wont start

Good morning, I have a 2001 F150 Lariat Supercrew V8, It cranks but it won't start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, does the theft light blink faster than normal and go out when you are cranking the engine over?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had registration problems

Customer:

Dieseljunky2, are you still available?

Dieseljunky2 :

OK, do yuo have another key to try to start it?

Customer:

no, but there is a key underneath the stearing taped to a circuit device

Customer:

looks like a Chip key or original key from ford

Dieseljunky2 :

Are you using regular key types or do your keys have a big square plastic head (about 1x1 inch square and 1/4 inch thich)?

Dieseljunky2 :

That is what I want to know, are you using chip keys to start it?

Customer:

the key does not have a big square plastic head but it is smaller head and longer

Customer:

the key I found under the steering column does appears to be like you describe

Dieseljunky2 :

Someone has tried to by-pass the security system by taping that key to the receiver for the security system. You will need to have the system reset by the dealer or a locksmith. Now in order to reset the system, it will more than likely have to be repaired back to its original state including putting the key receiver back on the ignition. You will also have to have 2 programmed keys in order to reset the system. This is not going to be a quick fix. This is a thing that was usually done when an aftermarket remote start was installed to keep from having to buy the $125 by-pass module for the start system. This would most likely be best handled by the dealer, as a locksmith would not like have the ability to correct the modifications.

Customer:

how much is this going to cost me at the dealer versus a locksmith?

Dieseljunky2 :

Dealer will be 2 hours labor minimum plus what ever is found to have been tampered with. Honestly without knowing what was removed or modified I cannot say. I will say this though at the dealer $500 to 1000 would be expected. Now If there are locksmiths in your area, then I would call them and explain what you have found as you have to me and see if they are interested in attempting to fix and if they cannot fix, what would the charge be? I live in an area where there are no locksmiths, and a call out fee is $150 just for them to show up.

Customer:

wow, okay. Is there a way to disable the alarm system all together until I get this issue resolved?

Dieseljunky2 :

The pats system is programmed to the trucks computer, if that key that is under there does not automatically shut it off, then no there is not. If you disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes and then hook the battery back up, then it may reset the system if the key received a poor signal from the low battery. If that does not work, then it is one of the 2 options already mentioned. Thanks

Customer:

Thanks Dieseljunky2, i will try the unplugging set up of the battery and see what happens. Can I use the key taped to the electronic device to try to start the vehicle? or should it remain tape to it?

Dieseljunky2 :

It is tapped to a ound hoop that is the receiver for the security system, it is there for the signal. If you remove it from that loop, then you will not have a signal at the receiver and it will do the same thing again. Thanks

Customer:

understand. Thank you for your support, I will try the battery 15 minute unplugged and restart if not check with the nearest locksmith or dealer.

Dieseljunky2 :

Good luck and hope it works out the cheapest way for you. Thanks

Customer:

thanks

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience