A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2000 ford expedition xlt: overheating..gets hot..radiator..water pump

I have a 2000 ford expedition xlt, the problem i'm having is the truck keeps overheating, the heat inside blows warm for a little while then to cold and the engine gets hot, I have replaced the radiator, water pump, thermastat. What else could it be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Double check your coolant level. Also you may want to have your engine block tested. This test checks for a blown head gasket. The test basically test the cooling system for engine combustion gases. Below is the test kit and how to perform the test with the engine running.

graphicgraphic

If the fluid turns from blue to green, you have a failed head gasket. You do not have to remove anything but the degas coolant reservoir cap to do this test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
coolant levels are ok, and the test is negative. now wat?
Make sure your cooling system is properly bleed of all the air in the system. Let it idle for a while with the cap off the degas bottle and the heater on max dash vent. Then top the coolant off to the top mark on the reservoir and drive the vehicle while watching the temperature guage. If the vehicle gets hot, stop and top the coolant reservoir off. Then drive it. This should get all the air from the system. Air in the cooling system will cause the same concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the hoses are not even getting warm to touch even though the engine is hot. wil this still work or is it something else?

Are you stating none of the radiator hoses get hot including the upper and lower radiator hoses?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that is correct.

If none of the hoses are getting hot, it sounds like there is no coolant flow. You have already replaced the water pump, radiator and thermostat.

But you have to have some coolant flow because you state the heater blows hot air and then cold air and the engine overheats.

Are you sure the engine is overheating?

Does the coolant actually boil over out the reservoir or just the temperature guage shows hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It blows warm for a few seconds, then it's cold, if you turn up the heat on the panel inside, after the engine warms, and yes, if you shut the vents off, the engine gets hot, and then boils over. Or you don't even have to shut the vent off, it gets hot within minutes. At first it seemed to do with the panel inside, playing with the on/off switch on the heater would raise and lower the temp on the engine, however now I can't get it to blow warm air at all. And yes the hoses are cold, and it is boiling out the cap.

This doesn't make any sense from my stand point. If your engine is heating up quickly, it is a good sign of a blown head gasket. The engine combustion gases are heating the coolant up in the engine causing the engine to over heat and boil out. Since the radiator hoses do not get hot, it a good sign.

The heater system will not cause the engine to overheat.

You replaced the thermostat, radiator and water pump to try and fix this problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, just got it out of the shop on monday last week drove it about 140 miles, and I'm back to the same problem. hoses cold, overheating, and blowing fluid all over.
If you can wait till tomorrow. I'll put this problem past a friend of mine at the shop. He is also and engine man. He might know something that I have forgotten.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks.

I'll post back tomorrow when I get home from work after 6:00 PM EST.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know too much about trucks but if I take this to a shop tomorrow, and they tell me it's a head gasket, wat is the general cost, just a rough idea.
A head gasket runs about $1300.00 parts and labor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ouch, for that price it would be cheaper to put down on a new truck. and move on. but if test was negative. that shouldn't be the problem, thank you and please get back with me.

Will talk with you tomorrow.

Can you tell me how long the motor runs before it over heats?
The big consensus is that you have a bad head gasket.

I am not going to be online long tonight because of family. I will be online tomorrow during the day if time permits. If not, I'll be back on line tomorrow evening after 6:00 PMEST.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance