Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.

Ford Mustang are ford Harmonic Balancer difference between

are ford Harmonic Balancer difference between 94 3.8 and 96 3.8? what about A.T. and manual
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

the diffeence is you have teeth on the balancer for spark

Steve :

the 96 has a wheel that the crank sensor reads for spark the 94 does not

Customer :

my 94 has teeth on balancer, is 96 pulley is not same with my 94 look at previous message the p/n on pulley on 96

Steve :

hi

Steve :

are you asking about the flexplate?

Customer :

yes does the 94 flexplate match with 96 balancer

Steve :

yes it should work they never changed the desighn of the engine

Steve :

or trans

Customer :

when install flexplate on the eng that have been mark before remove it will it cause out of balance?

Steve :

no it will not

Customer :

sorry I mean not mark before remove it

Steve :

doing research hang on

Steve :

the vibration dampbner will go on only one way

Steve :

the flywheel need some special care

Steve :

click on the blue link for directions on replacement

Steve :

any question on the pdf info after clicking on the blue link?

Customer :

it little confusing about balance pin, when using the old flexplate of my 94 put it on 96 which didn't mark for aligment

Steve :

did the old one you took off have balance pins?

Customer :

is 96 balance have diffent between flexplate and flywheel?

Steve :

the flywheel is the flex plate

Steve :

that is just what they are calling it in the book flywheel instead of flex plate

Customer :

I didn't know did not look for it I mean automatic or standard transmission

Steve :

you are putting a auto on the flex plate?

Customer :

when I got the 96 motor it didnt come with flexplate (a.t) or flywheel (standard trans) the question is does flywheel have differences balance

Steve :

I have replace a few flex plates in my time and i have never had a problem. It is always wise to mark it and reinstall in the same position but if that is not possible I would not worry about it. never had a problem.

Customer :

the problem I'm having is the eng is out balance with it idle or accelerated the car shake bad

Steve :

ok now we are getting down to the problem or the concern

Steve :

check the motor mounts first put a pry bar on them and see if they move or put pressure on them and see if the vibration goes away

Steve :

do the same with the exhaust

Steve :

if ok then you probably have a vibration dampener or flex plate issue

Customer :

that what to know if there is diffence on standard trans / automatic trans vibration dampener?

Steve :

the vibration dampner is the same should not matter

Steve :

I have seen vibration dampeners slip look for rubber pushing out or misaligned

Customer :

this vibration dampner is differ from all other vibration dampner that it see on 3.8

Steve :

what do you mean?

Customer :

the part number i gave you early which look like that pulley and vibration dampner is one piece

Steve :

I would go get the proper part and put it on and see what happens

Customer :

ok I which I could sent you picture of it so you can see what i was talk about because it with motor that from recycle yard

Steve :

you will have to sensd the pics over this chat

Steve :

save to your computer and click on the tree in the menu above

Customer :

96 balancer
Full Size Image

Steve :

does not look to bad

Steve :

some of the rubber is pocking out may have slipped a little

Customer :

marking on the dampner is differ than orginal

Customer :

timing mark

Steve :

that should not matter the main thing is the placement of the dampner weights

Steve :

or the rubber slipping

Steve :

causing the weights to be offset

Steve :

when running does the dampner vibrate or wobble

Customer :

no

Steve :

It might be ok then looks ok

Steve :

check the exhaust mounts and the motor

Steve :

mounts

Customer :

new motor mounts the eng dont back fire or spurter

Steve :

I would put a pry bar on them just to make sure and also on the exhaust if ok replace the dampener with the correct part number

Customer :

thanks for trying help me

Steve :

your welcome

Steve :

please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks

Steve :

Steve :

Steve :

Customer :

the answers may be helpful but it didn't help what I was looking for but I did find out what I was looking the balancer was for 99 to 04 3.8 but flexplate was wrong I put 94 which it not interchangeable,with 96 to 04 eng. the 96 motor was rebuild by ford in 2000 i.a.w data plate on the motor ( F6zz-6606-xrm) date rebuild 5 000 also the crankshaft was same from 96 to 04 that why I think flexplate may be problem.

Steve :

Replace the flex plate with the right one

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.