Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2005 Ford Explorer XLT: My power windows quit working

Customer Question

My power windows quit working in my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT what should I check.
Category: Ford
Expert:  FORDTECH70 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome.Unplug the connector to the switch and see if you have power,if you have power to the switch,the switch is bad then replace it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

None of the power windows work and would seem unlikely that all the switches went bad. I have 4 power windows

I'm sorry I read the question wrong.this a very common problem you probly have a broken ground wire in the drivers door jam/the rubber boot that goes between the door and the body,pull the the black rubber boot back to gain access to the wiring harness and check the wires,there's probly a broken wire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let us look at this again. All four windows do not work. There is no broken wire because the rubber boot is in great shape and so are the wires and I thought that since a rubber boot is on all four doors it would an incredible event if all four doors had broken wires. I know $33.00 is not much compared to the hourly shop rate at a dealership but I expected a little more. So if this is the best you can do, I will not except the answer and I will will take it a dealer. The other times I have used this service it has been on the money and I was glad I did it. This time you are not being anywhere close to evaluating the issue and you are blowing me off. I ain't happy.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here. I need you to remove the drivers door power window switch. Now use a test light or volt meter and check for power and ground, see below.

If you do not have power or ground then you need to see if there is resistance on the ground wire from the switch to the ground connection indicating a broken wire. This ground connection is next to the drivers rear tail light.

If you have no power then check the fuses and relays on the next page and reply if help is needed testing those. If you do have power and ground but still no window motors working then replace the drivers door switch since it controls each window and sends out power to each window switch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need to know what fuse(s) that control the power windows and what relay. Thanks

Hello again Bob, this is Chris(aka Moose) did you get the post I sent to you last night showing all the checks to perform as well as the fuses and relays.

After reading this just scroll up on this page and you will see where I posted after you did.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mention the next page but I can't get to the next page and I scrolled as far as I could but was not successful in getting to the fuses and relays.

I guess I am unfamiliar with what this page looks like from your end. I thought it looked just like mine like this image below.

I was wanting you to scroll up on this page that I am currently writing on to get to that long post I made including all the wire diagrams and the checks to make. The post looked like this one below.

Here is that copy of the wire diagram again if you are unable to scroll up and get to my previous posts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't determine what relay and fuse are involved with my windows. I can see the wiring and the switches but where are the fuses and relays located.

See the image below.