Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

2000 Ford Ranger: Cam sensor and circuit..PCM...PCM..coil pack

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with 3.0, Im not getting spark and I have checked all of the obvius things such as, Cranck sensor and circit, Cam sensor and circuit, Powers ad groundsto the PCM. My PCM is still NOT giving me the three grounds to the coil pack. I have checked the circuit on all 3 wires to PCM and power to the coil pack. I replaced the PCM and had it flashed by the dealer and still have the same thing.
Any ideas?????? can the theft system kill spark via the PCM even if I am not getting a THEFT light????
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, does the theft light come on for a few seconds when the key is first turned on?

Customer:

Yes but then goesout while cranking

Dieseljunky2 :

Ok, does the engine light come on, then go out while cranking?

Customer:

If you mean the " check engine light" It is on with no codes and I thin it stays on while cranking, but Im at the house and the truck is in theshop 200 yards away.

Dieseljunky2 :

Yes the check engine light. I need to know for sure if it goes out while cranking.

Customer:

When I run a KOEO test it gives me a couple of things but I dont think they mean anything Tem sensor out of range andlw input to pressure diff.

Customer:

Let me go see .. be rite back.

Dieseljunky2 :

Give me all the codes you have. Thanks

Customer:

Light is on then I cranck , Light oes out momentarily then back on while crancking and stays on while I continue to crank.

Customer:

I will go run another KOEO test and rite them down.

Dieseljunky2 :

ok

Customer:

Coincidentaly,, I get injector pulse for about thesame amout of time that the egine ight is OUT while crankig then itgoesaway aboutthe same time the light comes back on.

Dieseljunky2 :

That is why I wanted to know about the light. If the light goes out, then the computer is getting the rpm signal. If the light is on, then the computer is not receiving the signal. Will your scan tool monitor the rpm signal while cranking?

Customer:

Again, I have no codes on a normal DTC scan. HOwever, when I do the KOEO test, I get the following codes:

Customer:

p1116 engine coolant temp sensor out of self-test range

Customer:

p1000 OBD system readiness test not complete

Customer:

p1400 Differential pressure feedback egr circuit low input

Customer:

That's all

Customer:

I'll try to monitor RPM with my scanner, but not sure if it will do it

Customer:

Going to try now. Be right back

Customer:

My scanner shows RPM for a couple of seconds of cranking then goes to 0 Its showing 206RPM I guess that sounds rite??

Customer:

Anoter thing I should mension is the guy before me had removed the cam sensor drive and ad it stabbed wrong when I got the truck I donthave the tool to install the drive correctly but I have put in the way the picture shows i the Chiltons manual. Doesnt that just control fuel injector timing??

Customer:

sorry about my typing the keys are sticking on this laptop. I is literate.

OK, unplug the egr pressure sensor and see if you get a spark or if it will start. Here is the picture.graphic
Did you replace the crank position sensor?
Yes, it would still run, just very rough.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed the plug from the press sensor and still no spark and nostart. The Crank pos sensor was replace by the guy before me along with the cam pos sensor and the coil pack.

I was waiting for you over in the chat room all this time Ha Ha

I have to respond to an emergency call at work, I will be out for about 2 hours maybe less. In the mean time, Check the power wire on the coil while cranking to see if the power is staying there while cranking. I will respond as soon as I get back. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yup,,I checked that days ago. two or three times.

Talk to ya when you get back.

Take your tester and put the leads in the back of the connector for the crank position sensor. Crank the engine over and see if you get any voltage. Try with the tester in both ac and dc voltage settings. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I grabbed the two pins at the connector for the PCM and crancked theengine over by jumping the starter relayand I see flucuation in the resistance. I can see when the missing tooth goes by. I also rang out the circuit toand from the PCM by unplugging the Crank sensor and jumping the pins together I get 0 ohms from the PCM through the circuit back to the PCM. I also ohmed out the new Crank sensor and I get 545Kohms.

That is about the same as I get through the Cam sensor.

Having said all of that I just went down and tried what you said,,on a/c everything is just erratic,no real reding. On D/C I get 1.5v on both wires. That is with my red lead to one ofthe wires and my black lead to ground. It is the same on both wires and it does vary a little while cranking but not much maybe 1.5v to 1.4v. on both wires, I also varified that at the PCM connector backside.

Should my ref voltage be 4 or 5 volt???

Unplug the cam sensor and try to start it. The readings you got on the crank sensor are ok for cranking over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok Im goin to check now.

ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I unplugged the cam sensor and still no spark no start.
Check the resistance to ground with the coil hooked and the key off on the 3 wires that are not power on the coil.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ive checked this before and I dont remember exactly what the numbers were ut they were less than 1 ohm each.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also verified with a circuit tester that there was no ground being gien by the PCM at te PCM
OK, this is what I want you to do. Since there is a loss of the rpm signal, we need to generate a false signal and watch it on your scan tool. Unbolt the crankshaft sensor. Leave it plugged in and turn the key on with your scan tool hooked up so you can see rpm. Now take a flat blade screw driver and jiggle it back and forth at the tip of the sensor. It should read rpm. Do this for at least 20 seconds to see if the rpm continues or quits after a few seconds. I know barbaric, but it works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Id piss on the spark plug if you think it would help,,,going to try it.

let's save that for a last effort
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OOOKKKK,,, You said Crank sensor and I tried it but no RPM, However at first I had no rpm while cranking when I tried to verify we had rpm. Then I discovered that the cam sensor was still unplugged...I plugged it in andI now had RPM for a few seconds. So I tried the screwdriver trick with the cam sensoras well and I could not get it to show RPM.

Something wierdhappened while I was trying the Crank sensor trick,,, Ilet the screwdriver touch th tip of the sensor and the fuel pump cycled on..... It happened twice then I could not get it to do it again. I messed with the wire harness going to the crank sensor to see if we had a short or loose conectin or rubbing, but I could not find a problem.

I have some stuff that I have to go do..Do you work on Sundays and if so what time do you think youll be on line tomarrow??

I am on everyday, most of the day. Have Sunday lunch at Grandparents house, other than that I should be on and off all day. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great,,I will talk with you tomarrow then,, I will definately kick you a bonus if we get this thing going. I have been working it off and on for a week. This was a friends car that I was working on for her and she could not afford to pay me for my time so I gave her a credit on some other vehicle maint ( her daughters car) and now I own it. it will be a nice little run around truck if we get it running.

Thanks Deon

ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I got side tracked and have not had time to et back to the Ranger. I still need to figure it out but I have a shop full of cars rite now. It snowed a couple of days ago and that screwed everything up.Ive been trying to block off all of the holes in my shop so I can hold some heat in. I killed a ho the other day and its just hanging in the shop, Thats how cold it is in there.

I will get back with you when I have some time.

Thanks

ok