kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Ford F150 Pickup 4x4 need a wiring diagram for starter relay

need a wiring diagram for starter relay on a 1989 f150 with a straight six
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

are you talking about the starter solenoid on the iner fender?

Customer :

yes

kalamykid :

there are twoo wires a big and a little wire and they do not go to the same place on the soleniod.

kalamykid :

The small wire will go to the s terminal "small stud" of the soleniod and the big wire will go to the back big stud of the solenoid closest to the fire wall.

kalamykid :

the other wires will go to the front stid of the solenoid closest to the battery but one. I need to find out what color this wire is as it will go to the bacj stud with the big wire to the starter.

kalamykid :

be right back

kalamykid :

I do not see any of the fuselink wires that would go to the back post of the solenoid. so all the other wires should go to the front of the solenoid with the main battery cable.

kalamykid :

some fords have a wire for the igniotn module going to the back post so the ignition system has power during cranking of the engine, but i do not see this wire in your system.

Customer :

k, I'll go hook them up and see if it smokes ...be a minute(There are six wires total)

kalamykid :

hold up

kalamykid :

how amny wire are going to the starter?

kalamykid :

and what color are the wires?

Customer :

2,o nly 1 terminl...

kalamykid :

so both wires are on the starters one terminal right?

kalamykid :

how big are these two wires?

Customer :

one is 4gauge the other is about14

kalamykid :

do they both go to the samr terminal on the starter? does the starter have a solenoid on it too?

Customer :

thats my question, there's only one terminal on the starter, which has no soleniod, where else could it go?

kalamykid :

and both of the wires are connected to the starter right?

Customer :

yes, I put them both on the new starter(same terminal) right before I hooked up the wires to the soleniod wrong and cooked it.( mechanically challenged)

kalamykid :

What color is the small wire?

Customer :

small wire to starter is black

kalamykid :

did you have a balck wire from the battery to the starter mouning bolt?

kalamykid :

not the stud for the wire fromthe solenoid but where the starter bolts to the trans.

Customer :

dont recall, is ther supposed to be one?

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

there should only be one wire from the solenoid to the starter " a big red wire but can be black" and a ground wire that woudl bolt to the mounting bolt and run to the abttery

Customer :

that would do it, I'll relocate the 14 gauge ground wire to the mounting bolt on the starter, and the large wire to the firewall side of the soleniod

kalamykid :

if you have the ground wire to the starters feed terminal it would have melted the wires as ther would have been a direcect short

Customer :

I also had al the small wires on the firewall side of the soleniod, first direction in the book is MARK THE WIRES...

kalamykid :

they have to be on the battery side so there is power into the cab and fuse box when you are not turning the key to start

Customer :

pos wire from battery to forward solenoid terminal along with all small wires exept s wire, 4 gauge wire from starter to rear terminal...correct?

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

and take the battery negative wire off of the trigger terminal at the starter.

kalamykid :

and bolt it to the starter mounting bolt

Customer :

alright! i'll go put it back together and try it again.....you were quite helpfull, sorry it took so long

kalamykid :

that is ok as long as we get it right it does not amtter how long we take getting there.

Customer :

Thank you....how do I leave feed back?

kalamykid :

if you are happy with my help and accept my answer you will be give a place to leave feedback

kalamykid :

but lets make sure this takes care of the problme first.

Customer :

beauty. thanks again

kalamykid :

you are welcome

Customer :

I'll be a bit....

kalamykid :

that is ok i will be here when you get done

Customer :

I also replaced the nuetral safety switch, I thought that was the problem initially, but wasnt it, then the soleniod then the starter. I just hooked all small wire sot fwd terminal(with POS battwire) and the small ground tto the mounting bolt and starter wire to rear bolt, It started...in gear...ignithion switch off...got the neg wire off the battery without getting run over or pinned to the house...now what????

kalamykid :

now youneed to adjust the safetly switch

kalamykid :

do you have a test light

Customer :

yes... can I just bypass the safety switch, and why did it try to start with no key in the ignition?

kalamykid :

did the truck start when you connected the battery cables back up or when you turned the switch

kalamykid :

wowowowow

Customer :

while I was connecting the battery

kalamykid :

lets see what you have done. is there a smalll wire with a slip on connecter that fits the solenoids small terminal?

kalamykid :

cfan you take a pic of the solenoid and post it so I cansee what you have put where?

Customer :

yes, however, there are TWO small teminals on this new solenoid instead of the original that had one. I put the slip on wire on the upper terminal

kalamykid :

ther should be a small letter at the base if each small termianl what is the letter for the stud you hooked this wire to?

Customer :

S the slip on connector fits...the other small terminal is a little smaller

kalamykid :

can you take a pic of the solenoid so I can see how youhave it connected?

Customer :

posting a pic is beyond my skill level on the computer...let me get the expert (14 Yr old)

kalamykid :

lol

kalamykid :

DO you have a photobucket account? It will be easyer to post a pic to photo bucket then trying to post one here.

Customer :

the wires didnt want to be put on the terminals, had to bern them around the acted like they were supposed to go on opposite...started to fwd terminal, small to rear...

kalamykid :

can you post a pic to photo bucket for me so I cansee for sure what is going on?

kalamykid :

Some where the trigger terninal is getting power

kalamykid :

at the solenoid

kalamykid :

pull the s terminal wire off, make sure the trans is in park or neutral pull the coil wire off of the coil and see if thestarter tryie sto activate again.

Customer :

would it be safe to put them on the opposite terminals?, I cant find a camera, but the wireson the forward terminal are;pos battery,two smaller yellows, a larger yellow and a green. rear terminal; starter wire

kalamykid :

no do not move anything

kalamykid :

just pull the s terminal wire off

Customer :

will try last suggestion

kalamykid :

then to be safe pull the coil wire so it can not start

Customer :

(your last)

kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

k

kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

tries to start, no key in ignition

kalamykid :

then you have a bad solenoid

kalamykid :

I ahve been getting a bad run of themlatly. Get an ac delco solenoid

Customer :

I'll re install the old one? it probably wasnt bad, but I may have fried the new one when I bungled the wiring...

kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

off to get a new solenoid...1/2 hour

kalamykid :

did the old one work correctly?

Customer :

it clicked, like a bad one does...but I had to put the key in this time.must be getting closer

kalamykid :

make sure to get an a/c delco solenoid. They cost a little bit more but are much more reliable

Customer :

roger that...back in a flash

kalamykid :

ok

kalamykid :

before you start the truck after putting the new solenoid in I need you to see if the wores to the coil have power to them before you put the key in the switch please.

kalamykid :

please follow these directions and tell me what the security light does.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

pleasew disregard the last post. It was meant for a 96 mustang.

Customer :

there were no delco solenoids in this two fish town (kodiak) I got an echlin from napa, It started first try(tried, coil off) second try i got continuose starter engaugment even when I turned off the ignition.I can order an ac delco but wont get it till wednesday. have pics now and can email them to you will the adress you used to mail me work for that?

kalamykid :

no

kalamykid :

can you register for phot bucket "it is free" and post them to it?

Customer :

I'll try, but the pics are on a different computer in my email. I'll log on with that one and get my expert to make the attempt

kalamykid :

thank you

Customer :

I cant get there with my other computerhow do i register phot bucket

kalamykid :

just goto www.photobucket.com . The click on the register link.

kalamykid :

When you upload the pics to photo bucket it will give you a web address so I can get to the oics.

kalamykid :

ok you can post them to my photo bucket and make it easier on yu.

kalamykid :

willpost a link so youcan find mine.

Customer :

enterd pics into place under kil2liv

kalamykid :

be right back

kalamykid :

can you post the full web page address as I did above?

kalamykid :

ty

kalamykid :

be right backl

kalamykid :

what is on the post with the wire to the starter?

kalamykid :

Will the truck still try to start if you unplug the trigger wire that slides on?

Customer :

starter wire is alone on its post. still starts when battery hooked up no key

Customer :

w/o s wire

kalamykid :

try pulling the green wire off of the front of the solenoid and see if it still trys to start.

kalamykid :

hold that thought

kalamykid :

turn the engine backwards about two full turns and see if the starter will stilll try to activate.

Customer :

it does NOT. shall I put it on the other post?

kalamykid :

I need to see what it goes to first.

kalamykid :

see if the truck will start with the green wire unhooked

Customer :

sorry I cant see the last line in all of your posts, how do I turn the engine backwards? with a rench?keep in mind my mechanicaly challenged status...

Customer :

willtry to start this POS now

kalamykid :

if the starter did not try to engage with the green wire off you do not need to turn the engine backwards

Customer :

nothing happening w/ green wire off. still have interior electric but no starty starty

kalamykid :

did you slide the small wire backon?

kalamykid :

the s termina;

Customer :

s wire back on now, it starts...and shuts off. now what do I do with the green?

kalamykid :

did the starer try to start the engine again witht he switch off?

Customer :

no, worked like it is supposed to.

kalamykid :

reconnect the green wire where it was and see if the starter will work correctly.

kalamykid :

I believe the starter was hung inthe flywheel before.

Customer :

it starts. it turns off. It'll be a while before i quit being pissed at it enough to drive it anywhere tho. tough being mechanically handicapped. Thanks so much for having the pacience to deal with me. saved my bacon...got my eye on an old deisel dodge, going to park it right next to the ford to make it jelouse, by the way with the new starter nuetral switch and solenoid which part do you think will go next from "new part envy"

kalamykid :

I am more worried about the starter at this point. It shuld not have hug up in the flywheel keeping it engaged.

kalamykid :

hung not hug

kalamykid :

you might want to take it back and get another one

kalamykid :

if it hangs again it can cause some serieus problmes.

Customer :

chinese rebuilds...probably better to go to the junkyard. Guess I wont tighten my neg terminal all the way so's I can yank it off quik for now. no refund on electric components....rather not have to deal with the possesd ford tho, will get another.

kalamykid :

you do not want to pull the battery cable loose if it happens again. It is much safer to pull the starter wire off of the solenoid

kalamykid :

But as for the starter you just got, it should have a warranty on it against defect, so swaping it for another one should not be a problem.

Customer :

safer because of risk of shock/burn or mechanical?

kalamykid :

safer against the battery blowing up in your face.

kalamykid :

i have had it happen before andit is no fun

kalamykid :

still have a ringiing in my ear and it happened 20 years ago.

Customer :

havent done that one yet...wil take your advice.

kalamykid :

thank you

kalamykid :

trhe acid burns heald up good but lost most of my hearing from the shock wave

Customer :

WOW, had no Idea the blast could be that intense, deal with d8 boat batteries all the time, guess I shoiuld have alot more respect for them.thanks again...will give you 100% approval rating andreffer my mechanic I'm going to get to you, I've lost alot of enthusiasm for rench turning this week.

kalamykid :

It is not that bad, some time I get frustrated and do not use my brain and just have to walk away from the car for a bit till my head clears.

kalamykid :

I thank you for the referal.

Customer :

had I followed the directions in the book.....first trouble shooting step should be;read the manual. next time...thanks again, I have to go its after 5 here and i can hear a coctail calling....

kalamykid :

drink one for me please.

Customer :

oh all right....

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q