Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

abs Light is on intermitantly, brake pedal..booster..works fine

Customer Question

ABS Light is on intermitantly, brake pedal sometimes has a void while depressing like system is open, other times pedal very hard like vacum booster in not working, 65 % of time system works fine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited. It sounds like the ABS is activating at times when the brake pedal feels different. Unfortunately the codes will have to be pulled from the ABS module to do a correct diagnosis. The most common concern with the Excursion is the rear speed sensor. I did find this TSB read it and see if it ressembles your

TSB
07-11-10

• BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING

Publication Date: June 12, 2007

FORD:

1997-2007 E-Series
1999-2008 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion

This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost® brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION:

Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost® are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.

2. Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.

3. Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).

4. Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.

5. Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.

FILTERING PROCEDURE

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]CAUTION:BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

1. Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.

2. Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.

NOTE:DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

1.  

2. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.

3. Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.

4. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.

5. Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.

6. With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost® brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
XC3Z-7B155-BA (FT-116)Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy
5C7Z-2005-BHydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-ABHydro-Boost® Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
MT071110Use SLTS Operations If Available; Claim Additional Diagnosis Or Labour Performed As Actual TimeActual Time

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
200507

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

concern.

Customer :

It is a vacum boost system

Marty :

Ok they came with either system on .

Marty :

The computer will store codes even if the light is not on. So we will need to have the code pulled to do a proper diagnosis.

Marty :

If you need more help, ask! If this answer helped you, click ACCEPT! If you have a deposit but do not click ACCEPT you WILL STILL BE CHARGED, but I don't get credit! NOT CLICKING ACCEPT HURTS THE TECHS THAT HELP YOU!