Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1999 ford: park to reverse it stops at neutral..drives..smoothly

The gear shifter on my 1999 ford 150 pu seams to have slipped. When you shift from park to reverse it stops at neutral and the pu move in reverse, drive now seems to be nuetral and between drive and second seems to be drive and second seems to be first. When i shift the pu into drive(which is very close to 2nd on the gear shift monitor) and take off the car seems to shift into all gears and drives very smoothly. Could this potentially be an expensive problem to fix. What would hae to be done to fix this problem.
Thanks carol
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Does the shifter seem loose when shifting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes it seems to have slipped down from the park position. when the pu is in park it is closer to reverse. the shifter wont go any farther.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
So is the shifter loose or is it just the way its reading?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it seems to be a little loose
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did not receive a reply from you after my last reply " it seems to be a little loose"
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay but you opted me out so I could not respond, if you still need my help let me know, I have an answer.

There are 6 bolts that come loose in the column on the shift tube, I have marked them for you. Drop the column and remove the plactic cover and check theses bolts I have marked. Look at step 22 in the instructions I sent you, Theses are the shift tube bolts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry ron opting out was a mistake. im not going to repair myself. can you tell me if this is something major to repair and expensive
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem, no its not major, its a matter of dropping the column and tighting about 6 screws. You looking at about 1.5 hours of labor. There should be no parts involved. Its safe to drive as long as you get it in the right gear.