Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Taurus How do I replace a burned out cigarette lighter

Customer Question

How do I replace a burned out cigarette lighter in my car?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall./ What year is the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How & where do I accept

2003

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for delay/ Had to step out. Let me see if I can find some info for you. No accept button yet as I am only asking questions, no answer yet, Back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
OK, have you done anything yet to get to the lighter? if not LMk and I know where to start. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know nothing about how to get to the lighter.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me get the directions for you. back shortly or as quick as i can. Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you have to take off the trim panel the light is actually in. In order to take trim panle off, you have to remove the main control unit ( radio, heater.Ac panel) Now. you will notice 2 small holes on each side of the control panle. You have to go to parts store and ask for the radio release tool. It is just 2 pieces of bent wire in the shape of a U. They insert into the holes on each side and release the clips and the whole unit will slide out. the tool is very cheap, sold most parts stores. Once you have the control panel out, you will see the screws hold the trim panle on. remove the screws, pull the trim pamel back and unplug the lighter . You then spin the trim ring of the lighter and basically the inside of the lighter will unscrew out. If at parts store. Ask to see a new lighter. This will show you what I mean. This is not that bog of job. You just need the tools to get the control panel out. You can try inserting 4 different pieces of coat hanger into each hole. This may work just as well

Edited by Tracer on 1/7/2011 at 12:42 AM EST
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
EMOVAL
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Apply the parking brake.
  3. If equipped with floor selector lever, position the selector lever in 1.
  4. Remove the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) .

1. Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.
1 Remove the bolts.
2 Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.
  1. Remove the ashtray.

1. Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
1 Remove the screws.
2 Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connector by reaching through the ICP opening.

NOTE: When installing the instrument panel center finish panel, be sure the alignment tabs are positioned correctly.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not understand any of this. Give me back my money