Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ford F150: a loud grinding sound..front end..noise started..louder

i get a loud grinding sound from the front end of my 04 ford F150 when i make turns. the noise started a couple of days ago and is getting progressively louder.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Is this a 4X4??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
noXXXXX the noise happens when i make left or right turns. there is no problem turning or resistance, just the loud grinding sound.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. The vehicle has to be rolling, correct? It won't make the noise setting still and turning the wheel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes. it only makes the noise when rolling.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Ok the most common problem I run into on these is a failing wheel bearing in one of the front hub/rotors. To verify the front end will need to be lifted to get the weight off the wheels then the bearings can be checked by rotating the wheel and listening for the noise and checking for any play in the bearing by pulling in and out on the top and bottom of the wheel. Generally a bearing that is bad enough to grind loudly will have play. Ford had an issue with the backing plates allowing water to enter through the grease seal on the inside of the rotor and ruin the inner wheel bearing. They have an improved backing plate with a heavier felt seal to keep the water from entering the seal area. There is also a possibility that a brake pad is down to the metal an dragging on the rotor during turns as the caliper sliding on the bracket. Usually you will also hear the grinding when braking if this is the case. Inspecting the inside and outside faces of the rotor will have marks from metal to metal contact if that is the problem. One more note, I have also had customers complain of front end grinding noise only to find out the noise is actually coming from the rear (it does sound like the front) differential clutch plates chattering. When the rear diff makes noise from the clutches it does not sound like a metallic grinding noise its more of a chatter vibration that is worse on low speed acceleration with the wheels turned sharply. The more the wheel is turned the more severe the chatter is.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist