Marty
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.
50706092

Ford Escape XLT My 2005 Ford Escape with a 6 cylinder engine

My 2005 Ford Escape with a 6 cylinder engine started running rough yesterday. I could not get it to go over 50 mph. I just bought it from a fleet reseller last August. Could it be the fuel filter? When I rev the engine when it's in neutral, it starts missing at about 3,500 - 4,000 rpm.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

Marty :

Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited.In neutral the engine has a rev limiter that will kick in causing it to miss which is normal. Does the engine missfire when you are driving? The engine is common for ignition coil failure, You will have to have the codes pulled from the computer to identify the fauly cylinder. If it does not missfire but still not accelerate the concern can be a restricted fuel filter,faulty fuel pump,restricted ctalytic convereter. These are possibilities with this vehicle.

JACUSTOMER-0e3nzcp0- :

It does misfire if I try to accelerate too quickly, or if I try to accelerate above 50 - 52 mph.