Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer battery drain on a 2006 Ford Ex

Customer Question

battery drain on a 2006 Ford Explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.

Vladgmru :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX have some questions, please reply back to this thread. How long does it take till your battery gets discharged? Have you ever tested or had it tested for a parasitic current drain? How often and how long do you drive your Explorer? Thanks

JACUSTOMER-cl1hhfw9- :

I have had the car for three years. The problems started within 3 months when I had a dead battery. Some thought it was a remote start or I had left the lights on. Not true. I have been told by my dealer that Ford admits that this is a problem and that they don't know how to fix it. The dealer put this battery charger thing in the front grille that he wanted me to plug in at night to charge the battery overnight. Problem is that I live in a condo with no garage and no electrical outlet where I park.

JACUSTOMER-cl1hhfw9- :

I have had 5 batteries in this car. They say there is no drain on the battery. The reading I believe is .028 milli something. The alternator is charging but the battery will not last overnight. AAA put a new battery in on 10/28/10. I live in the northeast in Massachusetts

JACUSTOMER-cl1hhfw9- :

They now have my radio completely out of the car because they read on the internet that the radio may be the problem . Three nights in a row. dead battery.

Vladgmru :

Well, the problem could be intermittent. A drain of 0.028A won't discharge your battery even in 10 days. Anything is below 0.04A is an acceptable drain. If you drive for a short distance with frequent stops and go, then it could be the reason your batteries do not last too long. I would recommend you to find a different workshop that is able to correctly diagnose your truck. It could not be a miracle, if a fully charged battery gets flat in three days, then there is undoubtedly something discharges it and it can be seen on a multimeter or current clamp tester display. You can check for parasitic current drain yourself if you have a multimeter. You can read more about this testing HERE.

Vladgmru :

By the way, does your rear wiper work well? I have seen some problems with rear wipers causing a battery to get flat.If I remember it right, it was on a Expedition or Explorer.

Vladgmru :

It was stuck and motor could not return to the parked position so every several minutes it tried to move and then stopped due to internal circuit breaker action.

JACUSTOMER-cl1hhfw9- :

Rear wiper works fine . I have never noticed a problem. Can the remote start be a problem?

Vladgmru :

Yes it can if it is an aftermarket remote start system or if it has been installed improperly. Anyway if it drains the battery when the the key is OFF and doors are closed, you should see excessive current drain reading .

JACUSTOMER-cl1hhfw9- :

I am not getting anything that hasn't been tried before. Help

Vladgmru :

What does it mean? Can you disconnect the negative battery terminal, set your multimeter to AMP reading and connect it in series between the battery negative post and negative cable and take a reading after 20-30 minutes? Of course ignition should be Off and doors closed.