Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

Where is the slave bleeder valve on a 94 ranger

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 3 years ago.

On the cylinder by were the line goes into the slave cylinder.If the reservior was allowed to run dry than you will need to perform the bench bleed procedure to get a good pedal.

Bleed Procedure

NOTE: When installing dry clutch master cylinder or tube service parts, use alternate bleed procedure (bench bleeding).

DescriptionTool Number
Clutch Coupling ToolT88T-70522-A

Under normal conditions, disconnecting the clutch coupling will not introduce air into the system. However, if there appears to be air in the system (spongy clutch pedal , or insufficient bearing travel), the system must be bled. The following procedure is used with the hydraulic system installed on the vehicle.

1. Disconnect the coupling at the transmission with Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A by sliding the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch slave cylinder while applying a slight tug on the clutch tube.
  2. Clean dirt and grease from around the clutch master cylinder reservoir cap.
  3. Remove cap and diaphragm and fill reservoir to the step with Heavy Duty Brake Fluid . Brake fluid must be certified to DOT 3 specification.
  4. Using a small screwdriver, depress the internal mechanism of the male coupling to open the valve. While continuing to hold the valve open, slowly depress the clutch pedal to the floor and hold.
  5. Remove the screwdriver from the coupling, closing the valve.
  6. Release the clutch pedal .

NOTE: The clutch master cylinder reservoir must be kept full at all times to ensure that there will be no additional introduction of air to the system.

7. Refill reservoir to level at step.
  8. Repeat above three steps.
  9. Close reservoir. Reconnect the coupling to the clutch slave cylinder. Check that the connection is secure by applying a slight tug to the clutch tube.
  10. Stroke the clutch pedal as rapidly as possible for 5 to 10 strokes.
  11. Wait 1 to 3 minutes.
  12. Repeat above two steps three more times.
  13. Loosen bleed screw (located in the clutch slave cylinder next to the inlet connection).
  14. Depress and hold clutch pedal while tightening bleed screw to 3-5 Nm (2.2-3.7 ft-lb).
  15. Refill clutch master cylinder reservoir to level at step.
  16. The hydraulic system should now be fully bled and should properly release the clutch. Check clutch reserve as described in this section. If system still has air in it, use the alternate bench bleeding procedure.

Bench Bleed

The downward angle of the clutch master cylinder makes it difficult for air to escape up into the reservoir. Therefore, if the clutch master cylinder is removed from the vehicle and bled while held in a vertical orientation (a bench bleed), air can escape much more efficiently.

Clutch Slave Cylinder

1. Start with tube and reservoir attached to clutch master cylinder , but system removed from vehicle. Lightly clamp reservoir in a vise.
  2. Hold the clutch master cylinder vertically with reservoir feed hose in the highest position on the body.
  3. Fill reservoir and extend above clutch master cylinder and make sure the quick connect on clutch line is below the clutch master cylinder .
  4. Using a small screwdriver, depress the internal mechanism of the male quick connect coupling to open the valve.
  5. Stroke and hold master cylinder push rod.
  6. Close quick connect valve.
  7. Release master cylinder push rod.
  8. Fill reservoir.
  9. Repeat Steps 4 through 8 four more times.
  10. With the clutch master cylinder still being held with the outlet tube and reservoir feed tube ends high, quick connect closed and the reservoir full, push the push rod into the body several times quickly to expel any remaining air. (If remote reservoir, pinch supply hose with fingers two or three times to help move air into reservoir.)
  11. When the movement of the push rod is 4mm (.160 inch) or less when stroked in Step 10 above, the clutch master cylinder may be reinstalled into the vehicle and coupled to the concentric clutch slave cylinder.