A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2000 ford explorer: Replaced fuel pump..60 psi..cranks..compression

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ford explorer I Replaced fuel pump have 60 psi at the schrader valve. It cranks It has spark seems to have compression but wont fire up wont fire on spray smells like its flooding any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

What engine size do you have in the Explorer?

4.0L OHV

4.0L SOHC

5.0L V8

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4.0L SOHC

Remove the spark plugs and clean them off and dry them off.

How did the vehicle run before you replaced the fuel pump and what lead you to replace the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My son was driving it aright but then it died pump wasnt running but he said he also pulled a misfire code also he put in a new pump but that one was no good because fuel only bubbled out of the schrader valve put in a new pump and now have 60 psi at the valve

Ok, remove the spark plugs and dry them off and clean them off. Or you can just replace them. Then try to start the truck.

Also check the dash where the Check Engine Light is on the instrument cluster. The light should come on when you turn the key to on, and then go off while you try to start the truck.

Do this and let me know what happens. If the truck still will not start, we will diagnose it farther.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They r new plugs The check engine does what you say

I just mentioned to clean the plugs since you stated you smell fuel.

Do you have a test light? We need to check a couple of the circuits to the injectors and also place a good spark plug in one of the plug wires and place it on ground. You should get a bright blue/white spark when the engine is trying to start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont have the car here its at my mechanics house but he did show me it had spark but it looked kind of orangeish also when after the truck quit my son changed the crankshaft positioning sensor thinking it was bad but checked the old one after and found that it wasnt bad

Well, if the check engine light goes off when you try to start the truck, the crankshaft position sensor is ok. We need to check for injector pulse that fires the injectors. Let me know when you get near the truck again and I can help you with the test. Also a NOID LIGHT is good for testing the fuel injector pulses.

graphic

It plugs into the injector electrical connector and should flash while you try to start the truck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do this test as soon as i can but how can i get a hold of you later if i accept the answere and pay you
Just reply back on this page. We can talk back and forth till we fix your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do i accept now so you can be paid then?
You can do it later. I am on here to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Ill Let you know what i find out

Just keep me informed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there Are you online tonight

Yes. I'll be on till about 10:00 pm EST. I'm on the East Coast.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
K well Do you remember the 2000 Ford explorer from last night? I went to the garage today I think i might have it figured out. Everything checked ok we had good blue /white spark at the plug. The Injector pulse was there and lit up the noid light. So we took compression readings and found Drivers side front Cylinder is 0 psi the rear was 25 psi. then we checked the pass side middle cylinder it was 100 and that plug seemed little drier. So im thinking the timing is out. Dont know how much this fix is or exactly whats wrong.

The timing chain set up on the 4.0L SOHC engine is tricky and requires special tools to set the timing chains. Your motor has 4 timing chains. Yes 4.

It sounds like the drivers side timing chain cassette has broken and the timing has jumped causing the low compression. When this happens, the valves will contact the pistons causing more damage. You will need to have a shop disassemble the motor to find the problem and the damage or you can replace the engine. It depends on your budget and how long you want to keep the vehicle.

Ford has a 3 year unlimited miles warranty on their replacement engines. I also know that Jasper has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on theirs. It depends on what way you want to go.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Though i dont think that the chain has broken because you can see it in the oil filler hole turning the cam or am i wrong in thinking that and that was my next ? my mechanic was wondering if this was a collision motor? So if the chain hasnt broke could it still make contact?

It is an interference motor (the valves will hit the pistons), not a freewheeling engine (valves will not hit the pistons).

The timing chain does not break. What does break is the plastic cassette that holds the chain in place. When the cassette breaks, the timing chain can jump timing causing the valves and pistons to come in contact with each other.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Or possibly a good used motor? Well thank you sir youve been very helpful Thanks again.
When using a good used engine, make sure you get a warranty with it and also check under the valve covers for any signs of sludge. These engines do not fair well with sludge. The timing chain tensioners need good oil flow and if there is sludge, you will have the same problem with the timing chains.