Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master certified tech and instructor.
14457476

2002 ford f-150: 4.6l..blend door..actuator does not work when adjust

Customer Question

2002 ford f-150 4.6l ,blend door acyuator does not work,replaced actuator ,did not put in box,pluged it in and checked to see if worked,no work,replaced potentiometer,still actuator does not work when adjust cold too hot.help help.....
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 years ago.

transmen :

hi, this actuator when bad will some times damage the control head if the actuator was bad and you replace it and still the same then the problem is with the head needs replasing, have you try a battery reset to calibrate the doors?

Customer:

i replaced potentiometer and actuator again both same time,turn key on and actuator moved and know does not react to any comaned

transmen :

ok did you replace the control head?

transmen :

the potentiometer is the same actuator.

Customer:

no did not replace control head,by the wiring diagram potentiometer center of control head feed the blend door actuator

transmen :

ok different name in different manuals this is the bleend air module, this blend air module gets information from the control head and the wires are drive by wires they dont go any other way, from control head to the module and from the module to the actuator so to have a bad wire is verry slim, let me look up for tsb and get back to you on other posible factory problems, before making a desition on the control head give me a couple of minutes perhaps half hour ok.

transmen :

i am going to change the page to be able to send you a diagnostics we need to do follow the instructions and record the codes retracted and after that reset the control head.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

ELECTRONIC AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL MODULE ON-DEMAND SELF-TEST

The EATC module on-demand self-test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous DTCs can be cleared when exiting the EATC module on-demand self-test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module - Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs. See: Dual Automatic Temp. Module - Retrieve Continuous DTCs

• The EATC module on-demand self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A diagnostic tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The EATC module on-demand self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault) DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C - 38°C (40°F - 100°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.
  • The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds , after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures
  • To exit the self-test and retain all DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the self-test and retain all DTCs.
  • To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the self-test and all DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THIS TRUCK HAS MANUAL ,NOT AUTOMATIC CONTROL HEAD

ok, then in this case there is no other place to check other then the EATC head or the actuator, the problem has to be the control head.