Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

1995 f-150: I put new kit in shifter but now it shifts..drives..mile

I have a 1995 f-150 300 six cylinder with standard transmission the shifter wouldnt go into 1st or second gear so I put new kit in shifter but now it shifts ever so smoothly but theres no 1st or second gear , now I'm a paint and body man so it may be an asswmbly error on my part, but if not what do you think it may be needing , my son drives this truck so assume there is a slight possibility of some mild to wild abuse he's 19, Im not accusing but he may have tried to get his quarter mile down to the low 23's from the high 25's by launching the old dog hard if this is the case what would break with any obvious signs as I have looked it closely and everyting looks pretty good
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, you will need to inspect the shift fork for 1st and 2nd gear, it is 23 in the picture. It's forks slip into a collar on the mainshaft to select the gears. If the forks are broken off or if the collar is broken off you will not have 1st or 2nd gear. If the main shaft is broken this will cause this as well, but you can eliminate that possibility by checking 4th gear. If it will try to move or stall the engine in 4th, the mainshaft is not broken, and also see if it will try to move in 5th gear, this will check the counter shaft. Thanks

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ok we can drive it in 3rd forth and fifth gear but starting in 3rd is obviously not gonna work. so if thats true the the collar and fork are our next play. we'll go check it and get back is it possible that the pin holding the fork on the shaft sheard. looking at the diagram it looks like it has a pin in it holding 25 and 26 together

Dieseljunky2 :

It's been a long time since I was in the mazda trans, If memory serves correct, it slides on the shaft. You will need to inspect the fork and the synchronizer sleeve on the main shaft. Have a look at all the forks and there respective sleeves. If anything looks different something is wrong. Thanks

Customer:

OK the fork on first and second was basically machined off maybe a 3/16 0r so allowing it to slide rt over the ring so the shifting problem that according to him just appeared yesterday actually Im now told has been hard to get into first and second for a while now, amazing what they finally say when its rt in front of them .... one more thing how do you get piece 15 and 16 out of the hole

Dieseljunky2 :

These have to be removed when the shafts are removed. It is tricky, as everything has to be turned and jiggled just right to get it apart and back together.

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience