kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2005 f150: steady speeds I can make it stop..accelerating..rpms

My 2005 f150 supercrew with 5.4 makes a whistling noise in cold weather.Mostly when
traveling at steady speeds I can make it stop by accelerating or slowing down but it keeps
coming back.It seems directly related to the engine in relation to rpms.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 years ago.

kalamykid :

Does your truck make this wistling sound at idel?

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

no

kalamykid :

Can you tell where the noise is coming from?

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

only that it comes from engine, probably closer to top of engine

kalamykid :

Is it a wistle or a roaring sound?

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

no its just a high pitched whine type of whistle

kalamykid :

If it is a wistle sound then it has to be caused by a vacuum leak.

kalamykid :

To find a vacuum leak get a can of carb cleaner with the engine running spray smalll busts of carb cleaner on all the vacuum lines, intake gaskets, and all vacuum hoses a section at a time. When the vacuum leak sucks in the carb cleaner the rpms will change.

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

where do i look for the cause

kalamykid :

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

ok will look into that. Are there any risks to the engine?

kalamykid :

Not by using the carb cleaner to find the leak. But if there is a vacuum leak then yes if it gets worse it can cause a lean condition that can damage the valves, plugs, and cats.

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

I need to get some carb cleaner, will try to let to let you know what I find out. Will probably be a couple days. I dont have computer access at home.

kalamykid :

That will be fine.

JACUSTOMER-ifs2qh54- :

I tried that and didnt get results, but i didnt know exactly where all to spray. I need to have someone help me with that. Will try to let you know what we find out.

kalamykid :

If you can not find a vacuum leak then try cleaning the iac motor and the boar where it sits to make sure that there is no carbone deposits restricting the openong.

Customer :

ok

kalamykid :

Let me know if this does not stop your wistle.

Customer :

ok will probably check it out more over holidays will try to let you know next week.

kalamykid :

ok ty