chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1998 ford explorer: airbags..replacing..the horn fuse was blown an I

I bought a 1998 ford explorer that had hit a deer, the body damage was only minor but the airbags deployed. I am replacing the airbags but I notice the horn nor the radio are working. the horn fuse was blown an I replaced it. it did not blow again immediately however the horn still doesnt work. also I understand I need to have the airbag module reset. I worked for a ford dealership years ago but this is new technology for me
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

Most of the time when the drivers side air bag goes off ,, it will damage the clock spring in the steering column ,, so the horn will be inop and the cruse control will be inop and after you replace the drivers side air bag , it will still have a code in the air bag mod for the drivers air bag has a open all due to the clock spring is bad and has a open .

the clock spring is a spool of wire between the steering wheel and the steering column that allows the steering wheel to turn and still maintain wire conections to the air bag, cruse switches and horn ,

graphic

graphic

if the truck has a Ford remote ,, push the lock button twice ,, and see if the horn blows ,, if it does then it will tell you that the horns are working and you may have a bad clock spring

if the horns work with the remote ,, then you can find the YELLOW / LIGHT GREEN wire on the mid section of the steering column at the clock spring conector and ground this wire ,, this should make the horn blow

any more info , just ask , we can go back and forth on this page ..

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience