Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford F150 FX4 how to bleed a clutch on a f150 1993 4.9 motor

how to bleed a clutch on a f150 1993 4.9 motor 5 speed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, there are 2 different designs. You either have an external slave cylinder at the trans OR you have a slave cylinder inside the front of the trans. If you follow the clutch hydraulic line from master down to trans, it will either go directly in side of trans OR to an external slave cylinder. I need to know what you have. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
slave cyclinderis inside
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. What has to happen on this style is you have to remove the line from where it connects on side of trans. you need a special release tool to do this. You can ask most any parts store for the trans line quick connect release tool. Once line is unhooked, you then have to follow the procedue below by pushing in on the check ball at the end of the line you unhooked. There is no other way to bleed the system. You may? be able to use a couple small screwdriver to try and get that white sleeve to slide to unlock line but.. dont mess up the sleave and then get a tool if this does not work

antech/A/C and fuel line spring lock release combo tool for Ford

Part Number:
MT1159

1. Using coupling disconnect tool No. T88T-70522-A or equivalent, disconnect hydraulic coupling at transmission by sliding white plastic sleeve toward clutch slave cylinder while tugging on tube.
  2. Clean area around clutch master cylinder reservoir cap, then remove cap and fill to step with suitable DOT 3 brake fluid.
  3. Using screwdriver or equivalent tool, depress internal mechanism of male coupling to open valve. Then, while holding valve open, depress clutch pedal fully and hold.
  4. Remove screwdriver from coupling to close valve, then release clutch pedal. Clutch master cylinder must be kept full at all times to prevent air from entering system.
  5. Refill reservoir to step, then operate valve and clutch pedal as described above. Reservoir may again need to be filled.
  6. Close reservoir, then reconnect coupling to clutch slave cylinder. When coupling is secured, cycle clutch pedal as quickly as possible through 5 to 10 strokes.
  7. Wait 1 to 3 minutes, then repeat clutch pedal cycling 3 more times with 1 to 3 minutes between each set of 5 to 10 strokes.
  8. Loosen clutch slave cylinder bleed screw, then depress and hold clutch pedal while torquing bleed screw to 2.2-3.7 ft lbs .
  9. Refill reservoir to step, then check clutch operation. If clutch does not release fully, indicating air has remained in system, repeat procedure.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I was helping you on this post and now you are asking about bleeding the master? you started another post. Bleeding the master is the same as bleeding the slave or system. I sent this info to you. Bleeding is usually not the problem if you have a clutch problem. If air got in. a part is bad. Aitr cant get in al by itself. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what the clutch would not go down. the guy i bought it from said it happened to him so he changed the clutch master cyclinder and that fixed it.so when it happened to me i ask the expert and was told a spring on the pressure plate fell off but he said to change the cyclinder, i did now the peddal goes to the floor and doesn't come back up you can fell the clutch is not engaging. he told me i should have bench bleed it. i was wondering how to do it
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
So what have you changed? the master cylinder, slave cylinder? both? are you now asking how to bleed the master since it is new?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i changed th clutch master cyclinder
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
On this truck, you do not bench bleed the master like other vehicles. You still have to follow the exact same bleeding info iIsent before. You have the master installed, fill with fluid. unhook line from side of trans, push the ball in on end of line per directions below. This is how you bleed the master

Edited by Tracer on 12/19/2010 at 2:21 PM EST
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist