CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

2009 Ford: heater blower and A/C controls not working

Customer Question

2009 Ford Fusion heater, heater blower and A/C controls not working. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

• Do you have manual or automatic climate controls?
  • If you have automatic, is the screen blank?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Manual. The car is an I-4 SE Sun & Sync model
I just want to be sure I get this straight, None of the controls work correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I left the dealer yesterday and they said all was working fine, I got no more than 3 minutes away and my A/C popped on for no reason. I hit the A/C button to shut it off and it popped on about 5 secs. later. It kept on doing this as I drove. During this time; however, I was able to work the heater and the blower controls. Later in the day, I drove home from NYC. None of the controls would work - the blower motor knob did nothing. The A/C button did nothing. Turning the control that changes the various settings did nothing. I froze the entire way home.

Ok Thank you. This does sound like a unique problem with your Fusion. The Fusion with automatic climate control have had problems with the switch panel malfunctioning but nothing with the manual like yours. But from your description it sounds like to me you are having a similar problem with the switch panel glitching causing the A/C to come on and then the switches to fail. About the only thing I can recommend is when it is not working, if you can get the car to the dealer and not shut the car off and physically show them it is not working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Get an "actual expert" to answer my question. Kyle told me nothing that I already don't know. I cannot believe that I'm the first person in US history that has had problems with my Fusion's heater. Ford Forums discusses this situation in similar situations. If I take my car in and say that the controls don't work, a mechanic should accept that as fact - even if they are intermittenly working at the time. What will the mechanic do differently if the controls are not working at the time I bring it in? Simply believe me? I want an "expert" who will look up TSBs because I'm sure the info is out there already.

What else do you want me to tell you? I am not saying you are the only one with the problem and I already told you the Fusions with automatic climate control have had problems which is probably the ones you are reading on the forums. The mechanic cannot fix the car if the problem is not happening at the time you bring it into the shop. The mechanic can not just throw parts at the car and hope it fixes it as if it does not fix the car, Ford will not pay for a repeat repair under warranty and if the car is not under warranty I am sure you dont want to throw money at the car and hope it will fix it. I deal with intermittent problems on a daily basis and they are the most difficult problems by far for any mechanic to fix. For your information I already looked up TSB's for your problem through the Ford database and there is nothing for the Manual Climate Control came up in my search. I also cannot tell you to start taking the car apart and try and fix yourself if the car is still under warranty because Ford can also deny a claim if something has been tampered with other than a Ford Technician.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Now the expert is getting downright nasty. I want someone else who has dealt with this problem and can answer my question. If you can't do it dude, give me to someone who can. I won't pay until I get a satisfactory answer. Call your buddies because I cannot believe I'm the first person to have this problem. What did the other mechanics find was the problem and how did they fix it?