Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

I have a 2008 ford focus and the engine light came on, I took it to autozone and

Customer Question

I have a 2008 ford focus and the engine light came on, I took it to autozone and they diagnosed it as CROSS:P0456
So I checked my gas cap and it was not tighten up, I tighten it up but the engine light is still on the code said 1) defective, loose or missing fuel cap 2) EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected 3) purge or vent solenoid defective 4) vacumm leak at engine. How or what can I do to determine what the problem is. I don't know what any of the other items are, except the gas cap. HELP
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX if the gas cap was found loose then this is likely your problem, you can clear the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and you should be all set. This check engine light will turn off by itself automatically, it just takes quite a few warm up cycles to be reset. Any more questions just ask
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that was not the problem steve, I actually replaced the gas cap and the check engine light is still on. I will have to take the car to the dealer
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 years ago.
Taking the car to the dealer is good idea, they have smoke machines they use to find leaks in the evap system, since the cap did not fix it, and your leak is somewhere else, the use of the smoke machine can find leaks that are .040 inch or greater. Thanks Steve W