Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Ford F100 Pickup what are the possible problems to a 1978

Customer Question

what are the possible problems to a 1978 ford f100 351 v8 m 2 barrel carb bogging out when pressing the gas pedal and dying unless you take your foot of the gas? It isn't the fuel filter I just recently replaced it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Possible reasons include vacuum leak, incorrectly routed vacuum lines, air leak at base of carb and intake, air intake leak, multiple leaks in carb, float sticking in carb.

I would start by checking for any cracked or broken vacuum lines, and spray base of carb with carb cleaner while idling to see if there is a leak there. If ok, and confident that the vacuum lines are routed correctly, I would pull the carb and go ahead and overhaul it and make sure to clean it thoroughly of any varnish buildup
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I spray the base with carb cleaner how will I know if there is a leak?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sorry, forgot to include that. If the idle changes in any manner when you spray the base of the carb and intake with carb cleaner, then you have a leak there. Usually the idle will increase as the carb cleaner gest sucked into the intake thru the leak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok that's exactly what happened when I took the air cleaner off and sprayed it yesterday. How do I go about fixing the leak in there?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

if it did it when you sprayed at the base of the carb and the intake, then remove the retaining screws to the carb and pull carb off, remove old gasket at the base, making sure to scrape all gasket material off the intake base and bottom of the carb. Install a new gasket and re-install the carb.

Make sure to mark all vacuum lines so that you reinstall them on correct ports.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I appreciate your help. Just to make sure though the idle revved when I sprayed the top of the carb not the base is this still leak related?

When I took off the air cleaner I sprayed carb cleaner over the top of the carb at the air intake..
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

yes, it is still leak related and need the gasket replaced

here are specific directions to remove the carb to replace the gasket:

1. Remove the air cleaner.
  2. Remove the throttle cable or rod from the throttle lever. Disconnect the distributor vacuum line, EGR vacuum line, if so equipped, the inline filter and the choke heat tube at the carburetor.
  3. Disconnect the choke clean air tube from the air horn. Disconnect the choke actuating cable, if so equipped.
  4. Remove the carburetor retaining nuts then remove the carburetor. Remove the carburetor mounting gasket, spacer (if so equipped), and the lower gasket from the intake manifold.
  5. Before installing the carburetor, clean the gasket mounting surfaces of the spacer and carburetor.
  6. Place the spacer between two new gaskets and position the spacer and the gaskets on the intake manifold. Position the carburetor on the spacer and gasket and secure it with the retaining nuts. To prevent leakage, distortion or damage to the carburetor body flange, snug the nuts, then alternately tighten each nut in a criss-cross pattern.
  7. Connect the inline fuel filter, throttle cable, choke heat tube, distributor vacuum line, EGR vacuum line and choke cable.
  8. Connect the choke clean air line to the air horn.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Disconnect the cruise control cable from the throttle linkage

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carburetor

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Disconnect the kick-down linkage from the carburetor

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the right front carburetor mounting nut

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Remove the right rear carburetor mounting nut

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Remove the left front carburetor mounting nut

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Remove the left rear carburetor mounting nut

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Carefully lift the carburetor from the intake manifold, you may have to rock it slightly to loosen it

Edited by Eric on 12/15/2010 at 5:58 PM EST
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
If you have any further questions on this, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so. If you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, but you are not charged again. thank you and have a good day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was about to start taking the carb off when before I took it off I tried to start it again as I noticed a wire was disconnected from the manifold and I thought this might of been the problem so I reconnected it. I tried and now the engine will die unless I rev up the engine. Im just wondering would a leak in the carb gasket also cause it now not to be able to run at idle?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

a severe enough leak will, especially on older carbureated engines as they are sucking in too much air and not getting enough gas thru the carbureator. Put a rag over the carb opening at the top of it and try to start engine. if it starts and trys to idle better than before, then you know it is getting too much air from leak and causing it not to run
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried putting a rag on top of the carb and start it and the same thing happened. It started revved up for a sec and then died. Does this mean that it is not the gasket now?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
Yes, correct. At this point, I think you need to make sure all adjustments are correct. below are procedures for all your carb adjustments. If after doing these, you still have same issues, then either overhaul the carb or replace it.

Idle Mixture

For this procedure, Ford recommends a propane enrichment procedure. This requires special equipment not available to the general public. In lieu of this equipment the following procedure may be followed to obtain a satisfactory idle mixture.

1. Block the wheels, set the parking brake and run the engine to bring it to normal operating temperature.
  2. Disconnect the hose between the emission canister and the air cleaner.
  3. On engines equipped with the Thermactor air injection system, the routing of the vacuum lines connected to the dump valve will have to be temporarily changed. Mark them for reconnection to prevent switching them when reconnecting.
  4. For valves with one or two vacuum lines at the side, disconnect and plug the lines.
  5. For valves with one vacuum line at the top, check the line to see if it is connected to the intake manifold or an intake manifold source such as the carburetor or distributor vacuum line. If not, remove and plug the line at the dump valve and connect a temporary length of vacuum hose from the dump valve fitting to a source of intake manifold vacuum.
  6. Remove the limiter caps from the mixture screws by CAREFULLY cutting them with a sharp knife.
  7. Place the transmission in neutral and run the engine at 2,500 rpm for 15 seconds.
  8. Place the automatic transmission in Drive; the manual in neutral.
  9. Adjust the idle speed to the higher of the two figures given on the underhood sticker.
  10. Turn the idle mixture screw(s) to obtain the highest possible rpm, leaving the screw(s) in the leanest position that will maintain this rpm.
  11. Repeat Steps 7 through 10 until further adjustment of the mixture screw(s) does not increase the rpm.
  12. Turn the screw(s) in until the lower of the two idle speed figures is reached. Turn the screw(s) in 1 / 4 turn increments each to insure a balance.
  13. Turn the engine off and remove the tachometer. Reinstall all equipment previously removed.

Rough idle, that cannot be corrected by normal service procedures may be caused by leakage between the EGR valve body and diaphragm. To determine if this is the cause: Tighten the EGR bolts to 15 ft.lb. Connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. Lift to exert a sideways pressure on the diaphragm housing. If the idle changes or the reading on the vacuum gauge varies, replace the EGR valve.

FLOAT AND FUEL LEVEL ADJUSTMENTS

Carter Model YF, YFA and YFA Feedback 1-bbl

See Figure 9

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Carter YF and YFA series float level adjustment

1. Remove the carburetor air horn and gasket from the carburetor.
  2. Invert the air horn assembly, and check the clearance from the top of the float to the bottom of the air horn. Hold the air horn at eye level when gauging the float level. The float arm (lever) should be resting on the needle pin. Do not load the needle when adjusting the float. Bend the float arm as necessary to adjust the float level (clearance). Do not bend the tab at the end of the float arm, because it prevents the float from striking the bottom of the fuel bowl when empty.
  3. Turn the air horn over and hold it upright and let the float hang free. Measure the maximum clearance from the top of the float to the bottom of the air horn with the float gauge. Hold the air horn at eye level when gauging the dimension. To adjust the float drop, bend the tab at the end of the float arm.
  4. Install the carburetor air horn with a new gasket.

Autolite (Motorcraft) Model 2150 2-bbl (Wet Adjustment)
  1. Operate the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. Place the vehicle on a level surface and stop the engine.
  2. Remove the carburetor air cleaner assembly.
  3. Remove the air horn attaching screws and the carburetor identification tag. Temporarily, leave the air horn and gasket in position on the carburetor main body and start the engine. Let the engine idle for a few minutes, then rotate the air horn out of the way and remove the air horn gasket to provide access to the float assembly.
  4. While the engine is idling, use a scale to measure the vertical distance from the top machined surface of the carburetor main body to the level of the fuel in the fuel bowl. The measurement must be made at least 1 / 4 inch; (6mm) away from any vertical surface to assure an accurate reading, because the surface of the fuel is concave, being higher at the edges than in the center. Care must be exercised to measure the fuel level at the point of contact with the float.
  5. If any adjustment is required, stop the engine to minimize the hazard of fire due to spilled gasoline. To adjust the fuel level, bend the float tab contacting the fuel inlet valve upward in relation to the original position to raise the fuel level, and downward to lower it. Each time the float is adjusted, the engine must be started and permitted to idle for a few minutes to stabilize the fuel level. Check the fuel level after each adjustment, until the specified level is obtained.
  6. Assemble the carburetor in the reverse order of disassembly, using a new gasket between the air horn and the main carburetor body.

Motorcraft Model 7200 VV Feedback 2-bbl

See Figures 10 and 11

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Motorcraft 7200VV float level adjustment

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Motorcraft 7200VV float drop adjustment

1. Remove the upper body assembly and the gasket.
  2. Fabricate a gauge to the specified dimensions.
  3. With the upper body inverted, place the fuel level gauge on the cast surface of the upper body and measure the vertical distance from the cast surface of the upper body and the bottom of the float.
  4. To adjust, bend the float operating lever away from the fuel inlet needle to decrease the setting and toward the needle to increase the setting.
  5. Check and/or adjust the float drop using the following procedures.
    1. Fabricate a gauge to the specified dimension.
    2. With the upper body assembly held in the upright position, place the gauge against the cast surface of the upper body and measure the vertical distance between the cast surface of the upper body and the bottom of the float.
    3. To adjust, bend the stop tab on the float lever away from the hinge pin to increase the setting and toward the hinge pin to decrease the setting.

6. Reinstall the upper body assembly and new gasket.

Holley Model 4180-C 4-V (Dry Adjustment)

The float adjustment is a preliminary fuel level adjustment only. The final adjustment (Wet) must be performed after the carburetor has been installed on the engine.

With the fuel bowls and the float assemblies removed, hold the fuel bowls upside down and turn the adjusting nuts until the floats are parallel with the top of the fuel bowls.

Holley Model 4180-C 4-V (Wet Adjustment)

See Figure 12

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Holley 4180 float level adjustment

The fuel pump pressure and volume must be to specifications prior to performing the following adjustments.

1. Operate the engine to normalize engine temperatures and place the vehicle on a flat surface.
  2. Remove the air cleaner, and run the engine at 1,000 rpm for about 30 seconds to stabilize the fuel level.
  3. Stop the engine and remove the sight plug on the side of the primary carburetor bowl.
  4. Check the fuel level. It should be at the bottom of the sight plug hole. If fuel spills out when the sight plug is removed, lower the fuel level. If the fuel level is below the sight glass hole, raise the fuel level.

CAUTION
Do not loosen the lock screw or nut, or attempt to adjust the fuel level with the sight glass plug removed or the engine running as fuel may spray out creating a fire hazard.

1. Adjust the front level as necessary by loosening the lock screw, and turning the adjusting nut clockwise to lower fuel level, or counterclockwise to raise fuel level. A 1 / 16 turn of the adjusting nut will change fuel level approximately 1 / 32 inches (0.8mm). Tighten the locking screw and install the sight plug, using the old gasket. Start the engine and run for about 30 seconds at 1,000 rpm to stabilize the fuel level.
  2. Stop the engine, remove the sight plug and check the fuel level. Repeat step 5 until the fuel level is at the bottom of the sight plug hole, install the sight plug using a new adjusting plug gasket.
  3. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for the secondary fuel bowl.

The secondary throttle must be used to stabilize the fuel level in the secondary fuel bowl.

1. Install the air cleaner.

SECONDARY THROTTLE PLATE ADJUSTMENT

This adjustment must be performed before the carburetor is installed on the engine and before the float level wet adjustment.

1. With the carburetor off the engine, hold the secondary throttle plates closed.
  2. Turn the secondary throttle shaft lever adjusting screw (stop screw) out (counterclockwise) until the secondary throttle plates seat in the throttle bores.
  3. Turn the screw in clockwise until the screw just contacts the secondary lever, then turn the screw in (clockwise) 3 / 8 turn.

IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT

Through 1982

See Figures 13 and 14

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Carter YF series adjustments

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: Holley 4180C idle system

1. Remove the air cleaner and disconnect and plug the vacuum lines.
  2. Block the wheels, apply the parking brake, turn off all accessories, start the engine and run it to normalize underhood temperatures.
  3. Check that the choke plate is fully open and connect a tachometer according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  4. Check the throttle stop positioner (TSP) off speed as follows: Collapse the plunger by forcing the throttle lever against it. Place the transmission in neutral and check the engine speed. If necessary, adjust to specified TSP Off speed with the throttle adjusting screw. See the underhood sticker.
  5. Place the manual transmission in neutral; the automatic in Drive and make certain the TSP plunger is extended.
  6. Turn the TSP until the specified idle speed is obtained.
  7. Install the air cleaner and connect the vacuum lines. Check the idle speed. Adjust, if necessary, with the air cleaner on.

FAST IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT

Carter YF, and YFA 1-bbl

See Figure 16

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 16: Carter YFA fast idle adjusting screw

1. Run the engine to normal operating temperature.
  2. Remove the air cleaner and attach a tachometer to the engine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  3. Manually rotate the fast idle to the top step while holding the choke plate fully opened.
  4. Rotate the cam until the fast idle adjusting screw rests on the cam step specified on the underhood emissions sticker.
  5. Turn the fast idle speed adjusting screw to obtain the specified speed.

When this operation is performed outdoors in cold weather, all vacuum controls to the distributor and EGR valve must be bypassed. This can be done by connecting a jumper hose from the DIST port on the carburetor to the vacuum advance port of the distributor and by disconnecting and plugging the EGR vacuum source hose.

Autolite (Motorcraft) Model 2150 2-bbl

Motorcraft Model 7200 VV 2-bbl

See Figure 17

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 17: Motorcraft 7200VV carburetor fast idle adjustment

1. Place the transmission in Park or Neutral.
  2. Bring the engine to normal operating temperature.
  3. Disconnect the purge hose on the canister side of the evaporator purge solenoid. Check to see that purge vacuum is present (solenoid has opened--will require 3 to 5 minute wait after starting the engine) followed by a short time at part throttle. Reconnect the purge hose.
  4. Disconnect and plug the vacuum hose at the EGR and purge valves.
  5. Place the fast idle lever on the second step of the fast idle cam. (Third step on Calif. models.)
  6. Adjust the fast idle rpm to specifications.
  7. Reconnect the EGR and purge vacuum hoses.

Holley 4180-C 4V

See Figure 18

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 18: Holley 4180C 4-bbl fast idle adjustment

1. Set the parking brake, block the wheels, place the transmission in neutral or park and remove the air cleaner.
  3. Disconnect the vacuum hoses at the EGR valve and the purge control valves and plug.
  4. Place the fast idle adjustment on the specified step of the fast idle cam. Check and adjust the fast idle rpm to the specifications found on the Exhaust Emission Control Decal on the engine.
  5. Rev the engine momentarily, place the fast idle adjustment on the specified step and recheck the fast idle rpm.
  6. Remove the plug from the EGR valve and the purge control valves and reconnect.

DASHPOT ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove the air cleaner.
  2. Loosen the anti-stall dashpot locknut.
  3. With the choke plate open, hold the throttle plate closed (idle position), and check the clearance between the throttle lever and the dashpot plunger tip with a feeler gauge.

ACCELERATING PUMP CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT

Holley 4180-C
  1. Using a feeler gauge and with the primary throttle plates in the wide open position, there should be 0.015 inch; (0.381mm) clearance between the accelerator pump operating lever adjustment screw head and the pump arm when the pump arm is depressed manually.
  2. If adjustment is required, hold the adjusting screw locknut and turn the adjusting screw inward to increase the clearance and out to decrease the clearance. One half turn on the adjusting screw is approximately 0.015 inch; (0.381mm).

ACCELERATING PUMP STROKE ADJUSTMENTS

Motorcraft 2150

See Figure 19

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 19: Accelerator pump stroke adjustment on the Autolite 2150

The accelerating pump stroke has been factory set for a particular engine application and should not be readjusted. If the stroke has been changed from the specified hole reset to specifications by following these procedures.

1. To release the rod from the retaining clip, lift upward on the portion of the clip that snaps over the shaft and then disengage the rod.
  2. Position the clip over the specified hole in the overtravel lever and insert the operating rod through the clip and the overtravel lever. Snap the end of the clip over the rod to secure.

Holley 4180-C 4V

See Figure 20

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 20: Holley 4180C accelerator pump system

The accelerator pump stroke has been set to help keep the exhaust emission level of the engine within the specified limits. The additional holes provided (if any) for pump stroke adjustment are for adjusting the stroke for specific engine applications. The stroke should not be changed from the specified setting.

CHOKE PULLDOWN ADJUSTMENT

Carter YF, YFA
  1. Remove the air cleaner. Remove the choke thermostatic spring housing from the carburetor.
  2. Bend a 0.026 inch; (0.66mm) diameter wire gauge at a 90 degrees angle approximately 1 / 8 inch; (3mm) from one end. Insert the bent end of the gauge between the choke piston slot and the right hand slot in the choke housing. Rotate the choke piston lever counterclockwise until the gauge is snug in the piston slot.
  3. Exert a light pressure on the choke piston lever to hold the gauge in place, then use a drill gauge with a diameter equal to the specified clearance between the lower edge of the choke plate and the carburetor bore to check clearance.
  4. To adjust the choke plate pulldown clearance, bend the choke piston lever as required to obtain the specified setting. Remove the choke piston lever for bending to prevent distorting the piston link, causing erratic choke operation.
  5. Install the choke thermostatic spring housing and gasket. Set the housing to specifications.

Motorcraft 2150

See Figure 21

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 21: Autolite 2150 choke plate pulldown adjustment

1. Set throttle on fast idle cam top step.
  2. Note index position of choke bimetallic cap. Loosen retaining screws and rotate cap 90 degrees in the rich (closing) direction.
  3. Activate pulldown motor by manually forcing pulldown control diaphragm link in the direction of applied vacuum or by applying vacuum to external vacuum tube.
  4. Measure vertical hard gauge clearance between choke plate and center of carburetor air horn wall nearest fuel bowl.

Pulldown setting should be within specifications for minimum choke plate opening.

If choke plate pulldown is found to be out of specification, reset by adjusting diaphragm stop on end of choke pulldown diaphragm.

If pulldown is reset, cam clearance should be checked and reset if required.

After pulldown check is completed, reset choke bimetallic cap to recommend index position as specified in the Carburetor Specifications Chart. Check and reset fast idle speed to specifications if necessary.

Holley 4180-C

See Figure 22

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 22: Holley 4180C 4-bbl choke pulldown adjustment

1. Remove the air cleaner. Then remove the carburetor from the vehicle and cover the intake manifold.
  2. Place the carburetor on a stand which allows access to the pulldown diaphragm vacuum passage on the underside of the throttle body.
  3. Mark the choke cap and housing. Then remove the choke cap, gasket and retainer.
  4. Reinstall the choke cap temporarily with a standard choke cap gasket. Line up the marks made previously on the cap and the housing and rotate the cap 90 degrees counterclockwise from that position. Secure with one screw.
  5. With the choke plate in the full closed position, actuate the choke pulldown motor using an outside vacuum source, 17 in.Hg minimum.
  6. Using a drill gauge of the specified size check the clearance between the upper edge of the choke plate and the air horn wall.

The gauge should fit in such a manner that it contacts the air horn and choke plate but does not move the plate.

1. If the pulldown dimension is out of specification, carefully remove the diaphragm adjustment screw cap with a small sharp punch or screw driver.
  2. Turn the adjustment screw with a 5 / 16 inch; Allen wrench clockwise to decrease the pulldown set or counterclockwise to increase the pulldown set.

Maintain a minimum of 17 in.Hg to the pulldown diaphragm during adjustment. Cycle vacuum from 0-17 in.Hg to verify proper set.

1. Apply RTV sealant to the adjustment screw cavity and check the fast idle cam index adjustment.

To adjust the fast idle cam index:

1. With the choke cap still wrapped, and with vacuum applied to the diaphragm, cycle the throttle. The fast idle screw should rest on the No. 2 step of the fast idle cam.
  2. If the fast idle cam requires adjustment, turn the Allen adjustment screw clockwise to position the fast idle screw higher on the No. 2 step or counterclockwise to position the fast idle screw lower on the No. 2 step.
  3. Remove the temporary choke plate gasket, install the original locking gasket, choke cap and choke cap retainer. Secure with breakaway screws and check the dechoke adjustment.

To adjust the dechoke:
  1. Reinstall the choke cap at the proper index using one screw.
  2. Hold the throttle in the wide open position.
  3. Apply light closing pressure to the choke plate and measure the gap between the lower edge of the choke plate and the air horn wall.
  4. To adjust, bend the pawl on the fast idle lever.

DECHOKE ADJUSTMENT

All Except Holley 4180C-4V
  1. Remove the air cleaner.
  2. Hold the throttle plate fully open and close the choke plate as far as possible without forcing it. Use a drill of the proper diameter to check the clearance between the choke plate and air horn.
  3. If the clearance is not within specification, adjust by bending the arm on the choke trip lever. Bending the arm downward will increase the clearance, and bending it upward will decrease the clearance. Always recheck the clearance after making any adjustment.
  4. If the choke plate clearance and fast idle cam linkage adjustment was performed with the carburetor on the engine, adjust the engine idle speed and fuel mixture. Adjust the dashpot (if so equipped).

OVERHAUL

See Figures 23 through 31

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 23: Typical upper body assembly (7200VV shown)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 24: Typical main body assembly (7200VV shown)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 25: VV feedback carburetor wiring and vacuum diagram

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 26: Carter YFA (non-feedback) carburetor exploded view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 27: Carter YFA feedback carburetor exploded view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 28: Autolite 2150 carburetor exploded view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 29: Motorcraft 7200VV (variable venturi) carburetor upper body

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 30: Motorcraft 7200VV (variable venturi) carburetor throttle body

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 31: Holley 4180C exploded view

Efficient carburetion depends greatly on careful cleaning and inspection during overhaul since dirt, gum, water or varnish in or on the carburetor parts are often responsible for poor performance.

Overhaul the carburetor in a clean, lint-free area. Carefully disassemble the carburetor, referring often to the exploded views. Keep all similar and look-alike parts segregated during disassembly and cleaning to avoid accidental interchange during assembly. Make a note of all jet sizes.

When the carburetor is disassembled, wash all metal parts (except diaphragms, electric choke unit, pump plunger and any other plastic, leather, fiber, or rubber parts) in clean carburetor solvent. Do not leave the parts in the solvent any longer than is necessary to sufficiently loosen the dirt and deposits. Excessive cleaning may remove the special finish from the float bowl and choke valve bodies, leaving these parts unfit for service. Rinse all parts in clean solvent and blow them dry with compressed air or allow them to air dry, while resting on clean, lint-free paper. Wipe clean all cork, plastic, leather and fiber parts with a clean, lint-free cloth.

Blow out all passages and jets with compressed air and be sure that there are no restrictions or blockages. Never use wire or similar tools to clean jets, fuel passages or air bleeds. Clean all jets and valves separately to avoid accidental interchange.

Examine all parts for wear or damage. If wear or damage is found, replace the defective parts. Especially, inspect the following:

1. Check the float needle and seat for wear. If wear is found, replace the complete assembly.
  2. Check the float hinge pin for wear and the float(s) for dents or distortion. Replace the float if fuel has leaked into it.
  3. Check the throttle and choke shaft bores for wear or an out-of-round condition. Damage or wear to the throttle arm, shaft or shaft bore will often require replacement of the throttle body. These parts require a close tolerance of fit; wear may allow air leakage, which could affect starting and idling.

Throttle shafts and bushings are not normally included in overhaul kits. They can be purchased separately.

1. Inspect the idle mixture adjusting needles for burrs or grooves. Any such condition requires replacement of the needle, since you will not be able to obtain a satisfactory idle.
  2. Test the accelerator pump check valves. They should pass air one way, but not the other. Test for proper seating by blowing and sucking on the valve. Replace the valve as necessary. If the valve is satisfactory, wash the valve again to remove moisture.
  3. Check the bowl cover for warped surfaces with a straightedge.
  4. Closely inspect the valves and seats for wear and damage, replacing as necessary.
  5. After the carburetor is assembled, check the choke valve for freedom of operation.

Carburetor overhaul kits are recommended for each overhaul. These kits contain all gaskets and new parts to replace those which deteriorate most rapidly. Failure to replace all of the parts supplied with the kit (especially gaskets) can result in poor performance later.

Most carburetor rebuilding kits include specific procedures which should be following during overhaul.

Most carburetor manufacturers supply overhaul kits of these basic types: minor repair; major repair; and gasket kits. Basically, they contain the following:

Minor Repair Kits:

All gaskets
Float needle valve
Mixture adjusting screws
All diaphragms
Spring for the pump diaphragm

Major Repair Kits:

All jets and gaskets
All diaphragms
Float needle valve
Mixture adjusting screws
Pump ball valve
Main jet carrier
Float
Some float bowl cover holddown screws and washer

Gasket Kits:

All gaskets

After cleaning and checking all components, reassemble the carburetor, using new parts and referring to the exploded view. When reassembling, make sure that all screws and jets are tight in their seats, but do not overtighten, as the tips will be distorted. Tighten all screws gradually, in rotation. Do not tighten needle valves into their seats; uneven jetting will result. Always use new gaskets. Be sure to adjust the float level.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Idle Mixture

FLOAT AND FUEL LEVEL ADJUSTMENTS

See Figure 9

Motorcraft Model 7200 VV Feedback 2-bbl

See Figures 10 and 11

See Figure 12

CAUTION

1. Install the air cleaner.

SECONDARY THROTTLE PLATE ADJUSTMENT

IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT

Through 1982

See Figures 13 and 14

FAST IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT

Carter YF, and YFA 1-bbl

See Figure 16

Autolite (Motorcraft) Model 2150 2-bbl

Motorcraft Model 7200 VV 2-bbl

See Figure 17

Holley 4180-C 4V

See Figure 18

DASHPOT ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove the air cleaner.

ACCELERATING PUMP CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT

Holley 4180-C

ACCELERATING PUMP STROKE ADJUSTMENTS

Motorcraft 2150

See Figure 19

Holley 4180-C 4V

See Figure 20

CHOKE PULLDOWN ADJUSTMENT

Carter YF, YFA

Motorcraft 2150

See Figure 21

Holley 4180-C

See Figure 22

To adjust the fast idle cam index:

To adjust the dechoke:

DECHOKE ADJUSTMENT

All Except Holley 4180C-4V
  1. Remove the air cleaner.

OVERHAUL

See Figures 23 through 31

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.