ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,worked on all makes and models
10832065

car wont start sometime changed battery terminals..started right

car wont start sometime changed battery terminals and stll does it first time did it was very cold out then later that day got in it and it started right up then did it again a few days later had the battery tested said it was good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 3 years ago.

ASEMaster35yrs :

The problem could be your relay, or starter, or neutral switch. When the problem occurs, check for power at the wire that goes to the "S" terminal on the relay with key in crank position. If you have power there, jump the connection on the relay from large batt+ terminal to the "S" terminal on the relay. If starter engages, the problem is the relay, if it does not engage the problem is the starter. If you have no power on the wire that goes to the "S" terminal, you will need to check the neutral safety switch next, the the ignition switch. If your security light is on when this happens you could have a bad chip in your key. The fact that it sometimes starts and sometimes does not, is an indication of a bad connection in the relay or bad spot on starter armature. Let me know if you have power at the red/blue wire that goes to the "S" terminal on the relay when in crank position.

Customer :

when i disconect the terminals they have power to them andwhen i hooked them back up i can hear they are getting juice

ASEMaster35yrs :

Perhaps you didn't understand me. Get a test light, disconnect the small red/blue wire that goes to the "S" terminal on the starter relay and check to see if you are getting power on that wire when in crank position.

ASEMaster35yrs :

The test light probe goes to the wire and the test light lead needs to be grounded at battery negative.

ASEMaster35yrs :

You will need a helper to turn the key to crank while you check for power at the wire.

ASEMaster35yrs :

One quick trick is when the problem occurs, have someone smack the starter with a hammer while you turn key to crank position. If the starter cranks now, the problem is the starter and has a bad spot on the armature.

Customer :

the big cable has power

Customer :

im gonna check the little wire as soon as i get someone else here to turn the ignition

ASEMaster35yrs :

Yes it will always have power, it is directly connected to the battery+. What about the small wire on the relay?

ASEMaster35yrs :

Full Size Image

Customer :

the small wire the light dont come on when you turn the ignition over

ASEMaster35yrs :

Sorry, here is a picture of your starter. Check for power on the small wire that goes to the solenoid on top of the starter.

Full Size Image

ASEMaster35yrs :

If the light does not come on, your problem is either your neutral safety switch or ignition switch. You can engage starter manually by jumping from large terminal to small terminal. If key is in on position, your car will start.

Customer :

the light doesnt come on

Customer :

thank you very much i just needed to know what the problem could be. better than a whole bunch of things my parents are gonna take it to ney york this week

ASEMaster35yrs :

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any more help.

ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,worked on all makes and models