Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Will a broken PCV hose elbow keep a 1997 Ford Escort from

Customer Question

Will a broken PCV hose elbow keep a 1997 Ford Escort from starting? The car makes no noise, does not crank, click, grind, nothing. Vehicle is a manual transmission and has 218,000 miles on it with the original clutch.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 years ago.

Hi I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer. it will not,
john aka eauto

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine does nothing. No crank, no grind, no noise at all. Am I understanding you correctly that the broken PCV elbow would not be the cause of why the engine does not turn over? If this is the case my second guess is the clutch switch for the manual clutch then
your secoind guess is likley the cause
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, The PCV will not cause starting issues, however it will cause running issues so it does need to be addressed to prevent lean running concerns and oil atomazation from getting all over the engine compartment. Since your vehicle does nothing when you turn the key then we need to diagnose the starting circuit to see if all the fuses and relay have power and are sending there signals out and there are no starter inhibit switches like the clutch switch causing this concern. Follow the below wire diagram I have addressed areas of concern in .

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience