Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

Ford E-150 Econoline How to replace heater core in 1999 E

How to replace heater core in 1999 E-150
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

Heater Core

Removal

.

1. Drain the engine cooling system.
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable .
  1. Disconnect the quick disconnect heater hose couplings at the heater core under the hood.
  1. Plug the heater water hoses with a suitable 5/8-inch or 3/4-inch plug.
  1. Remove the engine cover.
  1. Remove the instrument panel finish panel .
  1. Remove the heater core cover.
    1. Remove the seven screws.
    1. Remove the heater core cover.
      • Remove and discard the heater core case seal (18658).
  1. NOTE: Use care not to spill the coolant remaining in the heater core during removal.

Remove the heater core.

Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Lubricate the coolant hoses with coolant or plain water only, if needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't view the images - even after right click and "show picture"
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

ok let me resend

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay resend. What foremat are the pics?
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

Heater Core

Removal

1. Drain the engine cooling system.
  1. Disconnect the quick disconnect heater hose couplings at the heater core .

graphic

1. Remove the engine cover.
  1. Remove the instrument panel finish panel . .
  1. Remove the heater core cover .
    1. Remove the seven screws.
    1. Remove the heater core cover.
      • Remove and discard the heater core case seal .

graphic

Remove the heater core.

graphic

Installation

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is the instrument panel "finish panel"?
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

It is the panel that is the lower dash on the passenger side. You will see the heater core core directly behind it. numbers 7 and 8

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1044D70Instrument panel cluster finish panel
204302Instrument panel center finish panel
3043C18Passenger air bag opening cover
404320Instrument panel
5044F48Instrument panel dash brace
6045B86Instrument panel finish panel reinforcement
7044D70Instrument panel finish panel
804502Instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement
9043C74Driver side knee brace
10044F08Instrument panel steering column cover

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
  1. Remove the heater core cover .
    1. Remove the seven screws.
    1. Remove the heater core cover.

How many heater core covers are there? This sequence doesn't make sense.

How do you access the the quick disconnect heater hose couplings at the heater core?

Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

There is only one cover.It is saying once you remove the screws you can remove the cover. There is a special tool to disconnect the heater hose.Some parts stores may loan them out if you purchase the part at there store.

graphic it basically goes in and releases the tabs holding the hose. The long handle is what actually allows you to get back to the hose.

1. Push the heater water hose toward the tube to fully expose the locking tabs.
  1. NOTE: When compressing the white coupling retainer, the Heater Hose Disconnect Tool must be perpendicular to and on the highest point of the coupling.

Push the Heater Hose Disconnect Tool over the coupling retainer windows to compress the retainer locking tabs.

graphic

1. NOTE: A slight twisting motion while pulling on the heater water hose may be necessary to assist in the removal.

Pull the heater water hose away from the heater core tube.

Edited by Tim on 12/13/2010 at 2:12 AM EST
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I think I'm ready for this challege now. I'm not sure why the engine cover needs removed (convenience?) but I do accept your answer(s). Thanks, Chris
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. The engine cover is the piece inside the van between the front seats that covers the cover.It usually has 2 bolts on the floor and 2 clips one on each side of the cover under the dash.